Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tornado season??? Tulsa, SE Kansas, Eureka Springs areas ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:47 AM
retired_readytogo

Planning a trip to named areas in early Oct. Even though I live in northern Calif and have been through a few earthquakes, I am terrified of even the thought of tornados. Will be traveling alone with rental car and am considering cancellng the whole trip??? I didn't let 9/11 slow me down so hate to cop out to "weather".
Some one told me to travel EARLY AM--like 6 AM to 10 AM -- as most tornados seem to be active late afternoon to evening ??
My reason for going to these places????
It will bring my grand total to 50 states that I have visited----not just passed through but actually stayed a few days...
Advise needed and appreciated

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Tess

Chances are you'll be pretty safe in October. Spring is prime tornado season in tornado alley, although they can strike virtually any time of the year if conditions are favorable. Tornado conditions are fairly predictable--unlike earthquakes, there's usually some warning before tornado development. Listen to weather forecasts the night before and you'll have a good idea what the weather will be the next day. If you're really worried, traveling in the morning is a good idea. I'm a native Nebraskan and have a healthy respect for tornadoes but they're really a hit or miss phenomenon. The fall season in the area you described is beautiful. Have a wonderful trip and don't worry!

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relax, having lived in both places (CA & KS) I feel much better about a tornado than an earthquake. If it makes you feel any safer, TX has a lot more tornados than KS.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Tornados can happen anytime but October should be the quietest time for them in Oklahoma. I grew up in NE Oklahoma, Tulsa, and saw many tornados . They were primarily in the spring and summer.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Hi - I've lived in KS for years, and you should not worry at all in October. I can't remember the last time we had a tornado in the fall. Generally tornado season is April - June here. Autumn is usually our most beautiful weather! Enjoy.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM

I've been here (Kansas) 18 years, still haven't seen my first tornado. I _have_ seen some pretty big hail.

Keith
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM
retired_readytogo

THANKS A LOT to all the posters, you have reassured me greatly. I will enjoy my trip with a relaxed but vigilant attitude.

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM
OliveOyl

I'm a little late here, but wanted to reiterate what others have said--don't even think about tornadoes retiredreadytogo! That truly isn't the time of year for them. I lived in Dallas a couple of decades yet never saw my first funnel cloud until I moved to Florida!! You will be just fine--enjoy your trip and October's bright blue weather.