Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Topless in Key West/Miami (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/topless-in-key-west-miami-544653/)

JameyBano Jul 16th, 2005 03:41 PM

Topless in Key West/Miami

I have heard conflicting reports: Is it OK to go topless on South Beach? What about Key West? We are going down on Tues for a week
Thanks

Patrick Jul 16th, 2005 03:48 PM

I've gone topless both places and other than a few disgusted looks, no one seemed bothered at all.

samschack Jul 16th, 2005 04:54 PM

Not sure about the public beaches but Key West has an interesting waterfront motel with a pool bar which is clothing optional. Haven't been there for a few years and so can't remember the name but perhaps another poster will. It is very laid back and I don't think you will feel at all uncomfortable no matter what your state of dress or undress.

etpiv Jul 16th, 2005 05:48 PM

I was in South Beach in November--there were LOTS of topless sun bathers. I felt way overdressed in my Miracle Suit! You'll fit in fine.

indytravel Jul 16th, 2005 06:00 PM

Patrick! LOL :-D

mamajo Jul 17th, 2005 02:04 AM

Patrick, you had to look a whole lot better topless than those our son, daughter and her BF saw in Key West at Fantasy Fest last October. They said most were OLD, wrinkled, fat, flabby and painted and NO clothes on. They'll never go back to FF again. And they are all over 50.

SusanCS Jul 17th, 2005 02:55 AM

The clothing optional motel in Key West is Atlantic Shores, which is due to close right after Fantasy Fest. There are several clothing optional B&Bs there, but no public beaches are.

JameyBano Jul 28th, 2005 09:21 AM

Back from my trip-- South Beach is quite topless!
Haulover Beach-- sign says that you may encounter nude sunbathing--should change it to you will be the only one clothed!

Dick Jul 28th, 2005 09:46 AM

My wife does not like with the inequality of topless beaches.

SAnParis Jul 28th, 2005 10:05 AM

The majority of 'clothing optional' places in Key West cater more to the gay crowd than straight, although I am sure the acceptance level would be fine either way. We actually had a room in the top of one of the B & B's & had our own sun deck so my wife had no problem sun bathing 'however'. This particular B & B also caters more to the gay crowd but so does the rest of Key West. Most topless places seem to attract only those people that should probably have more clothes on, rather than less. South Beach is an exception to some degree.

JackOneill Jul 28th, 2005 10:39 AM

the scenery will be better in Miami. trust me on this.

jorr Jul 28th, 2005 11:33 AM

I went topless in Florida as well as Texas, California, and the Mediterranean. The only problem I experenced was sunburn. Put on some sun screen for God's sake!

Gekko Jul 28th, 2005 11:38 AM

In Key West, the Pier House resort, 1 Duval Street, has a very small "topless optional" area, but when I was there for 5 nights in May, I didn't see even one woman take advantage of the opportunity.

And I looked. For research purposes only, of course.

wliwl Jul 28th, 2005 05:06 PM

Patrick, Thanks for the good laugh.