Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Top Chef Finalists and Locals Pick Their Favorite New Orleans Restaurants

Jul 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi there! I recently went to New Orleans for the Wine and Food Experience (I definitely recommend this event for anyone who loves good food) and got to talk with Top Chef finalists, industry insiders, and locals about their favorite dining experiences in the Big Easy. The video is up on our homepage: http://www.fodors.com/news/story_3510.html.

What do you think? Do you agree with the recommendations? What are your can't miss places? I'm already planning my eating agenda for my next trip back!
Jul 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I see I'm not alone, I also tend to favor Maspero's muffaletta's over Central Grocerys'. No big surprises too me though. Check out NeoPatricks' report, I am headed there next week myself, & will post after I return.
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Byblos! When I lived in New Orleans years ago, we used to eat at the Old Metairie location all the time. I loved that place but I'm surprised to see it on any "top chef" list.
Jul 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

The guy who recommended Byblos is a local bartender. Seems like a very local deli type place. I had never heard of it!

I have yet to try a muffuletta, but sounds like I'll have to try quite a few before I can name my favorite one!
Aug 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
jwj

We get to New Orleans often as we only live 2 hours away. Our favorites are Upperline(which is more locals, not as many tourists),1179 for Italian, Galatoires, and Casamento's on Magazine for fried oysters (opens only during the season so check before going). We eat muffalettas all the time so I don't usually get that in NO. My only time going to Maspero's was not a good experience and have never been back. There are so many great places it's hard to choose. Just keep going back until you've been to them all. The city needs yall coming!!