Car Rental, Size, for OR

Search

Car Rental, Size, for OR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental, Size, for OR

Hello. I'll be visiting Oregon for three weeks in the fall and will be renting a car. Because I plan to travel all over the state (and on many off-roads through natural areas--mountains, coast, etc.), I'd like a "safe" car with enough engine power.

I've never rented a car before, so I don't know if a "mid-size" is too small or just enough. The reps. I talked with at both Avis and Hertz did not answer my question directly, pushing for a full-size. Since I'll be the only one in it, I thought a full-size might be too much (and a waste of gas).

For those familiar with rental cars and Oregon, could you recommend a particular "class" type? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:02 PM

check with Alamo for their small SUVs. They often have terrific prices on these on their website. last week I had one for $229 for the whole week. If the web site isn't offerring specials, try using the phone and ask for the costco discount. Otherwise a mid size should be more than adequate for only one occupant!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Having driven through much of Oregon (and many varieties of cars), about the only ones I would avoid would be the very smallest "sub-compact". You can take a look at the rental companies websites to see what types of cars they have in the various classes, and compare to what you are familiar with.

I usually find the "compact" size to be quite adequate for comfort and power (something like a Ford Focus or Dodge Neon); often the "midsize" level is just a matter of more gadgets and plusher trim, while "full-size" is larger and more of a nuisance for narrow roads or city parking if you don't need the space.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:10 AM

Before you plan to go off road, check the rental agency contract. No matter what class of car you rent, the contract may forbid the use of the vehicle off-road! I know our contracts with Hertz cars picked up at the PDX airport did NOT allow off roading, regardless of the type of vehicle. A mid-size or full size car will not stand up to off roading anyway.
You can get perfectly good views of the coast and mountains without going off road in your vehicle. Far better to park it and then hike.
Based on our experience, take the full size. A weekly rate for a full size is usually not that much more than for a mid-size.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Check out Enterprise. When my car was out of commission they supplied me a very good vehicle at the best price possible in downtown Seattle.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Whatever size car you rent in Oregon, be sure to get one that's fuel-efficient. We Oregonians are still saddled with the 2nd or 3rd highest gas prices in the country. Check this interesting website for gas prices all over the country: http://www.portlandgasprices.com/
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM

I just checked out the Budget car rental website and they are offering a $159 a week rental for full size cars and mid size SUV's which is a pretty good deal here and seems to be ok if you rent in OR. Just something to consider, however I think there's a 2 week limit on it.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Lately the rental companies have been bumping me up a class for free, over half the time. Reserve a mid-size, you may have a larger dar, anyway.

Keith