Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   too cold to whitewater in NC in Oct? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/too-cold-to-whitewater-in-nc-in-oct-643750/)

laslaff Sep 2nd, 2006 06:00 AM

too cold to whitewater in NC in Oct?

We will be spending a week in Asheville area 10/21-10/31. Is the water too cold then to do any whitewater rafting or tubing?

cmcfong Sep 2nd, 2006 07:38 AM

It would be too cold for me.

mahoneycutt Sep 2nd, 2006 12:35 PM

On rafting, I second the "too cold for me". Tubing might be more manageable but I but you don't enjoy it.

Mike Honeycutt

leahinsc Sep 2nd, 2006 01:51 PM

I'd be surprised if they didn't supply wet suits or at least make them available to rent. I'd do WW rafting over tubing though.

laslaff Sep 2nd, 2006 02:37 PM

Thanks! I thought it might be too cold, but being from Florida, I didn't have a clue!

BarryK Sep 2nd, 2006 06:14 PM

They do have wetsuits available. We rafted on the Nantahala in June and even though the air was warm the water was very cold, probably about 50 degrees. It's because the water is released from a dam each day and comes from about 150 ft below the surface. I don't know if they do daily released that time of year, so plan and call ahead.

SAnParis Sep 5th, 2006 09:06 AM

You might want to try the new 'whitewater park' just west of Charlotte. Check out www.usnwc.org.

cmcfong Sep 5th, 2006 09:26 AM

SAnParis, have you been to the new park? What did you think of it?

SAnParis Sep 5th, 2006 09:50 AM

I've not, but I had some friends go out to watch some trials or some such thing & they were quite impressed. I guess there is a conveyor belt that takes you around to the top & you get 2 runs. I am sure there several options + they are able to re-route the water & such to change the courses. Sounds pretty cool, just wish I wasn't the one that had to pay for it...

cmcfong Sep 5th, 2006 11:08 AM

Sounds like a fun place. I will have to give it a try!

Mama Sep 5th, 2006 11:47 AM

Make sure they supply you with DRY not wet suit

gutdoc56 Sep 5th, 2006 12:12 PM

Most of the rafting companies will supply wetsuits for free or a small rental charge, and I would highly recommend one in late Oct. I have yet to hear of any of the NC companies renting dry suits which are much more expensive and harder to fit. The French Broad River will be closer to Asheville and warmer. The Tuckasegee and Nantahala farther away. All of these rivers will be cold this time of year, and while there will be fewer trips run, there should still be a lot of options on any of the Asheville area rivers. I'd call ahead and check.

Check out the Nantahala Outdoor Center, probably the most popular and reliable company in the area: http://www.noc.com/

It should be beautiful. Enjoy!

starrsville Sep 5th, 2006 12:26 PM

NOC started the rafting on the Nantahala years ago and they run a class business.

I STRONGLY disagree that tubing would be better than rafting in October. Two weeks ago would have been too cold for me for tubing the Nanatahala.

<Is the water too cold then to do any whitewater rafting >
I don't think the water is going to be significantly colder in October than in August, because the water is coming from the bottom of a 250 foot lake. The "river" channel water temps were 58 degrees a couple of weeks ago, merging "dam channel" water at 48 degrees. Both are cold to me. I think the water coming from the dam will be about the same temp in October as in August. The river water MAY be a degree or two warmer, but not much more than that.

YES, I would raft the Nantahala in October - and may do so. The guides won't be trying to splash the riders as much in October. I probably wouldn't wear a wetsuit - unless the air temps are REALLY cold. If you go in, the water will be cold - BUT there are only two Class III rapids on the river - so not very likely you are going in the water.

Having said that - I did. :-)

But, I'm going back!

starrsville Sep 5th, 2006 12:28 PM

BE SURE TO TAKE A FULLY GUIDED rafting trip rather than a semi-guided or on-your-own rafting trip - IF you want better odds not to go swimming in the Nantahala! :-)

www.noc.com

laslaff Sep 13th, 2006 04:20 PM

Well, we definitely don't want to go swimming! It all sounds fun!