Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tons of S.F. restaurant recommendations here... But how about Oakland?

Jul 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are "halfway" moved from the Los Angeles area to the Bay area (he's already up there for his job, I'm slowly closing up shop down here.)

We are serious foodies and I've been reading a lot of great recommendations for wonderful places (some I've known about, others brand new!) for San Francisco proper. But since our new home base will be in the East Oakland area, how about some ideas for great places to dine in the East Bay, especially Oakland, Alameda and Emeryville? I already know some of the big players, esp. in Berkeley (namely Chez Panisse) and those are great for when we want to treat ourselves or celebrate. But ALAS, we are lowly folks who actually have something called a budget (sad face.) So here's my challenge:

* We love "hidden gems", neighborhood establishments, the secret places, the dives, the hangouts...
* No more than $15 per person (not counting alcohol or tip), but preferably more like $10 /person.
* We're long time fans of the food truck craze. So I welcome any "must Twitters," but I'd like to know YOUR find, something totally under the radar!
* We're not picky!

And... GO! and thanks.
Jul 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM

Welcome to "Oaktown" !!!

There are lots of reasonably priced and yummy places on Piedmont Ave (just to start with):
Barneys for all kinds of burgers and salads; Fentons for ice cream sundaes and sandwiches (but the noise level is extremely high!); Baja Taqueria; Peets Coffee (if you like it strong!) La Farine Patisserie; an Italian deli; a gourmet takeout place called Gregoires, etc etc.

For yummy home style cooking', Bakesale Bettys on Telegraph and 51st. ()Try the chicken sandwich).

I live in E. Oakland too. You'll be near San Leandro, where there is wonderful Wednesday evening Farmers Market , and a great English pub (with food) called The Englander.

There are LOTS of good budget places--this is a very small sample to get you through the first week or so (-;
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:44 AM

The whole Rockridge area has a lot of good places to eat, every type and cuisine. As an easterner, I tend to focus on Asian food, which is often in short supply here
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Used to live in Berkeley, now live in San Francisco. The moderately-priced Berkeley/Oakland food scene is among the best in the Bay Area IMO.

Some of these definitely meet your price challenge, but not sure all do - it's so dependent on what/how much you order, whether you go for lunch or dinner, and so on.

I will not give too many details (I'm too lazy), but you can google, chowhound, etc. the following places. All are excellent in their own ways, IMO.

>Vic's Chaat House - Berkeley - very affordable. Many contend it is best Indian food in the Bay Area.
>Great China - Berkeley - small, sort of hole-in-the wall near UC campus
>Adagia - Berkeley - lovely historic building across from UC campus - really nice ambience at reasonable prices, especially at lunch
>Restaurant Chu - Oakland - new, unusual Chinese - hip urban/modern ambience
>Pizzaiolo - Oakland - quality and attention to detail re: the food is superb. It's the one place our friends who have been working in Aix-en-Provence for the past two years insist on going - multiple times - whenever they return home. Try the pizza with wild nettles and pecorino
>Boot and Shoe (Pizzaiolo offshoot with smaller menu) - Oakland - tiny hole-in-the wall, more limited menu than Pizzaiolo, same excellent quality
>Bakesale Betty's - Oakland - fantastic food

All of the above places can be hard to get into depending on time you go. Some take reservations, others are wait-in-line kind of places. But worth it.
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Emeryville has a Food Court w/some good Indian Food options.

One of my favorite places is considered Berkley but not downtown: lots of cute shops great deli The Pasta Shop w/prepared foods and gourmet items you can't find elsewhere.

If you just moved they have a Crate & Barrel and Dansk outlet stores. Trust me you will like it here....
4th and University. Exit Univeristy
http://www.fourthstreet.com/

Jack London Square has alot to offer.
http://www.jacklondonsquare.com/
I see Miettes' is comming soon..best french pasteries..their maccarons will transport you to Paris...ck the Diablo newsletter on the website for great suggestions
Miss Pearl JAms for southern cooking on the water
Hahns Hibachi decent Korean food
Sunday am Farmers MArket.(can't beat asian fresh veges and the bread!)

Look around this Oakland Waterfront area as you will find a Bev MO, Cost plus and some other fun warehouse finds. (I found 8:00 oclock Coffee warehouse once..Sundays best day to drive around.)
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Hello, giveitago! Here is the latest Bargain Bites list from the SF Chronicle which you will probably find helpful too. Note over on the right under Regions you can click on EastBay. Best wishes, happy eating and sure hope you enjoy our wonderful area!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listin...bites/2009list
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and warm welcome! I've been prowling Yelp and Chowhound lately, but wanted to put the feelers out to the Fodorites too! You guys didn't disappoint. Thanks again.
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

BTW, Norcalif, nettles are one of my several current food obsessions (am a budding home gardener, beekeeper and wild foods forager), so I'm excited and intrigued by the pizza you mentioned by Pizzaiolo. Have to check that place out STAT.

Oh and 1JAR... macarons? OMG, I'm may not tear myself away from Miettes. YUM. Thanks also for the warehouse store/shopping tips.
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM

For breakfast-great hole in the wall in Oakland-Mama's Royal Cafe on Broadway.
Emeryville restaurant-Bucchi's on Hollis off Powell
Mexican food-Acapulco on Lincoln in Alameda
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM

I was up that way a couple of months ago and my friends took me to a fantastic Indian restaurant in San Rafael, called Lotus, Cuisine of India. We had the buffet lunch and it was amazing - they're listed in Zagat and the Michelin guide and their prices are in your neighborhood.
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Just for clarification, San Rafael is in the North Bay, not the East Bay (Oakland to San Rafael = 22 miles).
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM

The NYT had an article (and slide show) a week or so ago about up-and-coming restaurants in Oakland. I have no idea whether that info could be accessed, but it might be worth a try.
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM

It can be:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/06/27...oakland&st=cse