Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

To Rent a car in SF or not - that is the question

May 7th, 2002, 09:27 AM
CarCurious

Hello,

We are a couple in our early 30's and will be visiting San Fran soon. We're staying at the Park Hyatt and can't decide if we really need to rent a car of not. Our plans are to check out the city and take one day to see either Napa or Sonoma. That was the original reason of renting the car, but now I'm thinking it might be less hassle (and ultimately less expensive) not to. In SF is it difficult to find free parking?

Thanks for any help!

May 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
xx

It is extraordinarily difficult to find longterm free parking.

May 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Owen O'Neill

I've only visited SF but it's my impression that free parking is close to non-existent in downtown and the heavily traveled areas (i.e. where hotels are located). I did spot a garage a few blocks from my hotel (it was on either Sutter or California a few blocks from Grant) that had very good rates - somewhere between $10 and $15 for 24 hours. I also spotted an independent car rental place on Mason Street near Union Square that advertised $24.99 per day Toyota rentals. I'd just rent a car for the one day to Napa/Sonoma and use public transport for everything else. I took BART, streetcars, buses and taxis everywhere I went in SF and it was a very convenient city to negotiate with public transport.

May 7th, 2002, 09:51 AM
kam

Just rent the car for the day you want to go to Sonoma or Napa. Parking is a nightmare in SF. You would end up leaving your car at the hotel and most hotels charge a lot for parking.

May 7th, 2002, 09:57 AM
JS

Just got back from SanFran. Rent the car only to go to Sonoma. Stop at the first vineyard you get to, it starts with a "V". Its great. Otherwise, take a cab or a cable car, its much cheaper and easier.

May 7th, 2002, 09:57 AM
brian

i agree with kam...
rent the car just for the trip to Napa and drop it off as soon as you're back...parking AND traffic in SF can both be a nightmare...
besides, it's the best city for walking in the world!

May 7th, 2002, 10:04 AM
David

Rent a car for your trip and drive it down to San Jose to park it. While you are there you can visit the Tech Museum and see some funky Jazz. If you need a good place to eat try the Fresh Choice in Colma on your way down to park the car. San Francisco is too stinky to stay in anyway. San Jose is much larger and friendlier. Everyone wants to visit San Jose.

May 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
aceplace

Everyone is absolutely correct. You will not want or need a car in San Francisco. Just rent one for your day trip.