Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   To My Fodorite Friends Who Travel With Pets ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/to-my-fodorite-friends-who-travel-with-pets-606417/)

bonniebroad Apr 9th, 2006 10:29 AM

To My Fodorite Friends Who Travel With Pets ...

Many of you have read my postings about my Cairn terrier, Trissie, who was 16 - 1/2 years old on Friday! Of course, he has really slowed down, and has some of the ailments associated with his age ... he is deaf, has some Arthritis and has had to have dental surgery. He sleeps most of the time, rarely picks up a toy anymore, doesn't go up and down steps but is still as sweet as sugar, and has been the light of our lives for so many years.

Last night late, we found a large swelling on his abdomen, that has come up all of a sudden. Not like a soft-tissue common tumor that dogs get, but a swollen, bloated place. He obviously didn't feel well yesterday, and ate reluctantly. We know, as we rub that little tummy every day! He has been restless and will not eat today, trembles with discomfort every now and then. Of course, he will be at the Vet's first thing tomorrow, and we've given him his Arthritis pain medicine early to help with the discomfort he's having.

Have any of you pet-people ever discovered something like this swelling on your doggies, and what was the result? I am so worried ... :-( I've spent half a day in tears on and off. At his age, I don't think I will like what I hear.

He has been our traveling companion for so many years, and we were just planning a weekend at the shore with him. He can't walk in sand anymore, but loved looking at the ocean, and barking at the gulls! :-) (I love you, Trissie! ((L)) )

LilMsFoodie Apr 9th, 2006 10:41 AM

I'm so sorry Bonniebroad, I know how difficult it is to watch such a beloved companion decline. I would suggest something you might think silly, but go to a full line health store and buy some rescue remedy and also Walnut flower essence. Just put a few drops each day in Trissie's water. It will help calm her and make her transition easiler. It is alright for you to take these two.

I always have RR in my purse and went through bottles of it during 9/11 & its aftermath. I had many converts that day. It is just essences from flowers preserved in a brandy type substance. Such a miniscule amt. of alcohol, it is meaningless. Orange Juice has more.

http://www.nelsonbach.com/BFE_for_pets.html

There is no placebo effect with pets. This is a common treatment in europe where holistic medicine has more adherents.

http://www.bachfloweressences.co.uk/dynamic/us/

LMF

Birdie Apr 9th, 2006 10:54 AM

Is there an emergency number or hospital that you can call? It may only be an abcess but you should talk to someone before you continue to give any more meds. Please don't give any other over the counter meds unless you talk to a vet.

bonniebroad Apr 9th, 2006 11:02 AM

Birdie, I'm not giving any over-the-counter meds; it's the DuraMaxx prescribed for his Arthritis pain that he takes daily. He is eating a few nibbles right now, and has been resting more comfortably. However, if he seems to be getting worse, I will call our Vet's emergency number today.

Thanks so much, LMF, for your reply. I won't give him anything besides his regular medicine until I talk to the Vet, but I appreciate your concern very much!

Leely Apr 9th, 2006 11:19 AM

bonniebroad,

How terrible. My dear girl got a very sudden, quite large swelling on her neck at the end of May; it was a mast cell tumor. She lived until a couple of months ago. At her age (18), surgery wasn't an option. However, until her final morning, she was her same old self--deaf, semi-arthitic, sleepy but always loving and happy and ready to eat, eat, eat. During her final months I spent a small fortune on various medications to make her life comfortable. Worth every penny.

Do call or visit your nearest emergency vet hospital. I wish the best for you and your dog.

orangetravelcat Apr 9th, 2006 11:48 AM

I wish you and Trissie the best. Please post here after Trissie sees the vet. Best of luck.

cigalechanta Apr 9th, 2006 12:08 PM

I rarely stop by here but oh to hear that sad news I understand how you feel after losing my beloved friend, i've adopted a durvish of a dog, Pastis but having trouble housebreaking.
bonnie go the the dog forum on about .com. I found them helpful when my dog was ill and later when blind

cigalechanta Apr 9th, 2006 12:10 PM

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....webtag=ab-dogs

Tess Apr 9th, 2006 12:49 PM

Bonniebroad,

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you and your beloved pup, but all I can say is I'm saying prayers for you both.

Soon after adopting our basset, Maggie, a year and a half ago, I read the saying, "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." It makes me cry every time I read it again because it's so true. Their love and trust in we humans is humbling, to say the least. Please let us know what the vet says and think good thoughts until then. It sounds like Trissie is a very lucky little guy to have you in his life.

cmcfong Apr 9th, 2006 01:30 PM

Oh Bonnie, I am so sorry Trissie is having this difficulty. I wish I had a magic potion. Just tons of love and prayers of the heart for both of you.

AnnMarie_C Apr 9th, 2006 01:34 PM

bonnie, I am so sorry to read about your dog Trissie and wish there was something I could do to help. Our cat is ailing and although she doesn't travel with us she is our one and only so I know how you must feel. Hugs to you and pats on the head to Trissie. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. ((L)) AnnMarie

LilMsFoodie Apr 9th, 2006 01:38 PM

I believe most vet hospitals have a 24hr. answering service and have an on call vet so you can see someone immediately rather than waiting.

The rescue remedy is not a medicine and does not interfere with anything you might give your animal for pain. Your vet may even know about it. All the local ones here seem to. LMF

ah4sail Apr 9th, 2006 01:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Trissie's troubles. I currently have 2 westies and before that had a dear terrier mix who lived to be 17.

Do you know about terrierclub.com ? It's a great site and there are many people there who might have some advice for you.

Keep us posted.

mclaurie Apr 9th, 2006 02:08 PM

Hoping things turn out fine for Trissie. Please keep us posted. My boys ((&)) ((@)) and I send best wishes.

bonniebroad Apr 9th, 2006 02:22 PM

Thank you to all you wonderful friends here in Fodorville who are giving me support! ((L))

A little bit of good news: Trissie has been sleeping all afternoon, after eating his lunch finally. He is more relaxed than this morning ... but of course, he is still swollen in that tummy area, and that can't be normal. I decided not to call the emergency Vet, after he seemed to feel better this afternoon. Fingers crossed ... I will let you know how his exam turns out tomorrow.

Thanks again ... you're all the best! (Animal lovers are! :-) )

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2006 02:55 PM

bonnie- take Trissie to an Emergency vet.
It could possibly be a blocked intestine, dogs get that, and while it is awful for the pup and painful and can be dangerous, it can be fixed..but time is important, you don't want anything like that to wait.
Good luck, been here, it is not pleasant..hoping the best for all of you ((L))

travel_addict Apr 9th, 2006 04:05 PM

Bonnie,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear Trissie is having a rough time! I have a 4 year old Shitzhu/Maltese mix and I would do anything for her! I can imagine how you're feeling.

I'm going to agree with Scarlett on taking your dog to the emergency vet, or at least call them and ask about it. They're usually pretty good about figuring out what it might be over the phone and whether you should come in or not. It wouldn't hurt to get an expert opinion. Please don't wait overnight!

A bloated stomach could mean anything from simple gastritis or parasites, or as scary as a blockage or pancreatis. The trembling makes me think she might be fighting some type of infection.

As for the Bach's Rescue Remedy, that will help with dogs who are anxious, nervous, or stressed. My dog (15 lbs.) reacts to the drops very well and I've even used them myself. It's completely safe and can even be used with children.

If your dog has digestive issues, I would also recommend Homeopets Digestive Upsets drops. These are also harmless and work great for minor bloating due to gas and upset stomachs.

Good luck! And please keep us posted.

heidi

obxgirl Apr 9th, 2006 04:10 PM

Cyber hugs to you and Trissie, bonniebroad. We were in a similar circumstance a year ago with a 17 YO golden.

Please let us know the outcome!

OneWanderingJew Apr 9th, 2006 04:20 PM

Big hugs, Bonnie. Pets truly are members of the family and when they're ill, we feel it too.

Keep us posted.

BayouGal Apr 9th, 2006 04:56 PM

Bonniebroad, Tressie is in our prayers. Please keep us posted!