To Do List in San Antonio

Old May 15th, 1998, 10:34 AM
Leslie

To Do List in San Antonio

Looking for some "not to be missed" sites and activities in San Antonio and surrounding Texas Hill country in late May. Any ideas??

Old May 16th, 1998, 01:29 PM
Paul Rabe

The RiverWalk is one of the most romantic spots I've ever been to. The Alamo may be a bit of disappointment, if your first thought upon seeing it is "Why is it in the middle of downtown?", you won't be the first. See the other mission churches. If the weather is clear, have a meal at the top of the Hemisfair Tower (they'll allow to take pictures). Visit the Botanical Gardens and the Institute of Texan Cultures.

When you get out of San Antonio, take a float trip on the Guadalupe River. If you like "outlaw" country, go up to Austin and visit Threadgills or Austin City Limits (good luck on getting tickets on the latter). When in that city, have a chicken fried steak at the Broken Spoke and a hamburger at Dirty's (yes, that's the name of the place). Visit the LBJ Ranch and/or Museum if you're interested in his life (or seeing authentic longhorns).

Luckenbach is a real city; spend a few minutes there. Ask someone how to go to Coupland, and eat the buffet there (go hungry!). There's an Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, as well as a German heritage museum.

I lived in Austin for nine years; feel free to e-mail if you have any specific question.

Old May 19th, 1998, 12:20 PM
amy

As a native of San Antonio, I'd first want to warn you about the summer heat that is already upon us (our hi's are in the 90's and the air is very humid already), plus the fires in Mexico are giving the whole state a smoggy-look that we usually don't experience. other than that downside, the downtown area is ideal for a shortish vacation--i wouldn't necessarily recommend more than say 4-5 days here.
The riverwalk area is a big hit with tourists, and i'd definitely recommend staying at a downtown hotel if possible. We also have Sea World and Fiesta Texas if you're interested in that sort of entertainment.
I'd also recommend Boudro's restaurant on the Riverwalk and brunch at the Hill Country Hyatt (not downtown--close to Sea World if you want to leave the downtown area). otherwise Austin is one of Texas' best kept secrets with a lot of great restaurants,more than ample nightlife and live music,plus scenic sites both in and around Austin (Hamilton's Pool,Mount Bonnel,the capital building,the various lakes,etc)
The Four Season's in Austin is a first rate hotel and well located as well. I'm not sure if i'd necessarily recommend going to Luckembach (pretty boring in my estimation, but to each his own). Instead i'd try Fredricksburg-a charming little texas town reknowned for its antiques and also close to Enchanted Rock (a must see for outdoor enthusiasts).
Hope you enjoy yourself!

Old May 19th, 1998, 08:41 PM
Linda

Take the boat ride in downtown SA. It is a nice reprieve from the heat & walking in town. If you are there on Sunday, don't miss the mariachi mass at Mission San Jose at noon. Two eating places are in the market area: Mi Tierra (SA landmark) and a more touristy but good food & prices--La Margarita. Fredericksburg is interesting because you go from Mexican to German-but it is getting too touristy. The Willow City Loop is a nice drive--better when the wildflowers are out, but worth the time (near Fredericksburg). Near New Braunfels is Gruene--like Fredericksburg used to be. Austin is good fun.

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:17 AM
Cory

I got engaged in San Antonio almost two years ago to this day. And the previous posting is correct... the Riverwalk is romantic. We stayed at La Mansion del Rio on the Riverwalk... an old hotel with a lot of history and flavor. The gourmet restaurant in that hotel was very good, but also very expensive. We did the usual stuff... Sea World, the Alamo, etc. But nothing beat kicking back outside at a cafe on the Riverwalk, getting a pitcher of margaritas and just people-watching.

We spent 5 days in San Antonio and didn't get bored. It's a very unique city. Take a cruise on the Riverwalk, but also make sure you walk it too so you can experience its true beauty. And stay at a hotel on (or within walking distance of) the Riverwalk. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. Email me if you need more info.

Old May 25th, 1998, 06:13 AM
Joan

I'm an Australian recently returned home from the USA and I spent a couple of days in San Antonio. I have to say that it was one of the highlights of my trip...what a blast! I agree, the Riverwalk is the place to be....lots of restaurants, shops and great music playing. My hotel was the Ramada Emily Morgan (about 5 minutes from Riverwalk, if you walk slowly) and it was directly across the street from the Alamo. I agree, that seemed strage at first. I hope you have a great time.

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 12:04 PM
Suzanne

We are planning on going to SeaWorld next week. We have 3 girls (7, 5, 17 months). What should we bring to the park? Is it better to bring your swimsuit or just wear it under your clothers? I know all this sounds silly but better to be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance for the info.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 07:31 AM
Kid Creole

The Alamo is in the middle of downtown, and smaller than you think, but if you're prepared for that shock, you'll still be amazed by it. Stay at the Menger next to the Alamo, historic hotel with reasonable rates, right next to the Riverwalk. If you want good barbeque, drive northwest out to Leon Springs, a tiny little town with a good BBQ joint and a dancehall. Definitely float the Guadalupe and visit some of the great little German towns in HIll Country.

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 09:29 PM
Pam

Will be visiting San Antonio for the first time mid-October for 3-4 days. Weather? Don't mind walking but might need a rental car for a day trip. Suggestions on best deals. Would like to stay on or near Riverwalk but don't want a huge hotel, smaller places that are nice or a B&B? Enjoy botanical gardens, any worth a look? Seen any good airfares?

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 03:25 AM
road runner

No one mentioned how friendly the people are in SA! I have traveled all thru the US and found the SA people to be the friendliest NO, I am not from SA! Also, definitely take the mission tour.

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 11:09 AM
Linda

Pam: SA is cool in October (70's) usually. Try the SA Tourism site for B&B's in King William district. These are older large homes & some are within walking distance of main downtown. If you stay downtown, you won't need a car as the trolley buses are good. If you are there on Sunday, don't miss the mariachi mass at Mission San Jose. Enjoy, it is a great town.