Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tips for DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tips-for-dc-555613/)

ohsohappy Aug 31st, 2005 10:47 AM

Tips for DC

Any special tips for the DC area, check this out, watch out for...

Also, we are saying at the Hay Adams Hotel with a room view of the White House. Any comments good or bad?

midlohokiegirl Aug 31st, 2005 11:42 AM

Consider using the metro system as an alternative to driving around and paying for parking garages! The metro system in washington is very nice!

This is really very random, but if you like middle eastern food, there is a little place in the food court of Pentagon City (Fashion Center), on the blue line I think, near National airport, that has the most fantastic hummus and tabbouli!

LOYL Aug 31st, 2005 11:44 AM

We really enjoyed the trolley tour- good overview of the area. Also had lunch at the Hotel Washington - they have a rooftop restaurant on the top floor which overlooks the White House. Have a great time!

Ms_Jingles Aug 31st, 2005 11:47 AM

Comfortable shoes are a must!! Plan on doing a lot of walking on the National Mall. All of the museums and memorials are great, but some of my favorite sites were the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Holocaust Museum, and Arlington Cemetery (changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier).

The only thing I had to 'watch out for' was guys on bikes stopping people to sell sunglasses or other wares. That was a few years ago, so not sure if it still occurs. But it wasn't a big deal.

KathrynT Aug 31st, 2005 11:49 AM

I hear the Hay Adams is very nice and you will be well located. Be sure to try and obtain capitol and White House tours from your congressperson. They also may be able to arrange other tours for you.

Bring good walking shoes!

BigJim Aug 31st, 2005 12:00 PM

Agree with everybody about doing LOTS of walking and using the metro system. The parking situation is HORRENDOUS!!....especially looking for street parking.

bardo1 Aug 31st, 2005 12:13 PM

<<Also, we are saying at the Hay Adams Hotel with a room view of the White House. Any comments good or bad? >>

A great hotel with a great location and top notch service. Very expensive, you might want to eat somewhere else.

<<Any special tips for the DC area, check this out, watch out for...>>

What are your interest?? Likes/dislikes?
Right next to your hotel is Teaism (at Conn. Ave & H st.) great for breakfast or lunch. Another tasty spot a few blocks away is Breadline (1750 Penn. Ave)- at breakfast ask about beignets - they are not always displayed.

http://thebreadlinedc.blogspot.com/

Underhill Aug 31st, 2005 03:28 PM

The Hay-Adams is lovely. Friends of ours were married there, and I still remember standing out on the terrace looking across at the White House at night.

ohsohappy Aug 31st, 2005 03:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for there replies. We are looking forward to a nice time away. Keep the responses coming. Any tips for the weather?

By the way, we are taking a day trip over to see our daughter who just enrolled at Sweet Briar. Any good restaurants for Lynchburg? She loves steak and we would like to take her to a nice restaurant. Fine dining is not required as long as the food is good.

Julie304 Aug 31st, 2005 05:50 PM

I don't think you've mentioned the dates of your trip. It will be difficult to address your question on weather without that information.

If you're coming now the weather is still quite hot and humid, although September is generally much drier than August.

repete Aug 31st, 2005 06:54 PM

Hay Adams just had a top to bottom renovation a few years (2 or 3?) and it's very nice. I wish I could remember the cost/room for the update. It was stunning. Nice choice.

As Bardo mentioned, Breadline is close and a great place for quick bites. (It's a local favorite and I just had a nice lunch there today.)

rb_travelerxATyahoo Aug 31st, 2005 08:10 PM

Yes, use Metro.

But don't spend all your time in line at the machines purchasing a farecard that has only enough money on it for the immediate trip.

Figure the approximate cost for all the trips you may be making and purchase a card for close to the total cost. Or buy the all-day visitor pass or other passes available at www.wmata.com

After all, you visit for the sites, monuments and museums, right? And not to spend all your time down in front of the machines.

(Explanation: Rather than tokens or tickets, you purchase a pass or farecard with "X" dollars value on it. Each passenger needs his own pass or farecard. You insert the card into turnstiles both when you ENTER the system and when you EXIT. The fare for the trip just completed is deducted from the card value. I see a lot of people look to see what the fare is from "a" to "B", and purchase a (eg) $1.60 card only to have to purchase another one when they return. Assuming you'll be making that trip each day for 4 days, just purchase a card with $12 on it. You can add value (80 cents) when you exit the subway on your last trip.

birder Sep 1st, 2005 04:49 PM

midlohokiegirl - that is SO funny to hear you talk about the Middle Eastern place in Pentagon City's food court. I read that and thought, the last time I was there, I ate there and RAVED over their hummus - it was SOOOOO good - best I've ever had!