Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tips for a week in Las Vegas/Grand Canyon area

Sep 20th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Mr. D

I was thinking of flying into Las Vegas in mid-October, spending a couple of days there and then heading to the Grand Canyon. A few questions:

1) Any tips about the must-sees in the "new" Las Vegas (I haven't been there since the mid-1980s).

2) Should we do South Rim, North Rim, or both (of Grand Canyon)?

3) I s there anywhere else in the general Grand Canyon area we shouldn't miss?

4) What's the best place to stay in the Grand Canyon area for someone who doesn't like to rough it but isn't loaded?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mr. D

Sep 21st, 2000, 04:47 AM
Dave

Mr. D,

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, then you should definitely visit the South Rim. This is where the postcard views are.

The North Rim might not be open in October, since the elevation is higher and the entrance road is closed generally from mid-October to mid-May, depending on snowfall.

Check out www.thecanyon.com for more details.

Dave

Sep 21st, 2000, 06:39 AM
lisa

If the search function is working you should be able to do a search and pull up a trip report on the Grand Canyon that I posted a few weeks ago. I stayed on the south rim at Bright Angel Lodge & Cabins in one of the "historic cabins" for $70 per night and it was fine -- nothing fancy, but in a great location and clean and basic (TV, phone, private bath with shower but no tub). The walls are thin and the cabins are basically duplexes so you may hear noise from people in the adjoining cabin but that was no big deal. El Tovar is the nicest hotel on the south rim and it is the only one with room service, but it is pricier. Thunderbird Lodge is also located right on the south rim, in between Bright Angel and El Tovar, but it is more of a modern design. All of these places are right next to each other and all of them have at least some rooms with canyon views, although I'm sure those cost more (my cabin did not have a view; if you want one with a view you have to ask for one of the "rim cabins.") I thought the food at Arizona Steakhouse adjacent to Bright Angel Lodge was very good, especially the ribs. The highlight of my trip was the overnight mule ride I took down to Phantom Ranch on the floor of the Grand Canyon. It was expensive but worth every penny -- a great way to really SEE and experience the canyon without hiking it. Even if you can just do one of the half-day mule rides, I highly recommend it. The mule rides and the accommodations on the south rim get booked up far in advance but I got lucky with last-minute reservations due to cancellations, so call ASAP. The website is www.amfac.com

Sep 21st, 2000, 08:52 AM
mrs. c

Mr. C.,

Check out the search engine on this site - type in Grand Canyon and you will get alot of trip reports. I used this site exclusively to plan a trip last spring and it was great. Went to Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and then Grand Canyon and then back to Vegas for a day around the pool. Great vacation.

Sep 21st, 2000, 06:16 PM
Mr. D

Thanks to all for the advice. Lisa: Your little travelogue was most inspiring. I'm not the type to take a mule ride, but you really sold me. I hope I'm as lucky as you were with the short notice. I'll use the search engine.

Sep 23rd, 2000, 04:39 PM
Cliff

Mule trek excellent if you can do it - but be warned, mules are bigger than you think.

Zion and Bryce Canyons are spectacular -
in some way better than Grand. You can drive to Zion from Grand in 6 hours, through the Painted Desert on the way. Knock a day off Las Vegas if you are short of time, you won't regret it.
Can recommend the Bright Angel lodges if you can get in.