Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tipping in Nightclubs: Include Cover Charge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tipping-in-nightclubs-include-cover-charge-433297/)

jimshep May 19th, 2004 07:27 AM

Tipping in Nightclubs: Include Cover Charge?

Do you tip on a cover charge?

Last night I went to a club where the bill was $169 ($60 for cover charge, $100 for food and drink, and $9 for tax).

I left a $20 tip, assuming it was a 20% tip based on the $100 for food and drink.

When I got home I noticed at the bottom of my receipt a ?Tip Assist? which stated that a 20% would be $33.80. The club had based the computation on the total $169 bill.

Did I under tip?

rb_travelerxATyahoo May 19th, 2004 08:31 AM

Not only "No", but "hell no!".

20% on food/beverage before tax is plenty.

ellenem May 19th, 2004 10:56 AM

Those Tip Assists on receipts figure tips incorrectly. The first time I saw one, I was so surprised that I decided to do the math myself to check it. The receipt suggested 15%,20%, and 25% tips on our meal. All three computations were made to the grand total. Therefore, Tip Assist was suggesting that I should add a tip for the tax! Pretty ridiculous. . .

bardo May 19th, 2004 10:58 AM

What a scam. Now I've heard everything. I suggest you give us the name of the club and expose these crooks.

marilynl May 19th, 2004 11:58 AM

Ellenem, not saying right or wrong, but plenty of people tip on the total, including tax. I guess I don't go to enough clubs to have a feel about tipping on cover charges.

Blacktie May 19th, 2004 12:02 PM

The cover did nothing for you except gain you admittance - no tip is applicable.

ellenem May 19th, 2004 12:45 PM

Yes, I understand that plenty of people tip on the total--fine as long as they realize that their "20%" is figured with an added tax, not just the service they received, and therefore may be more like 21% or 22%.

HowardR May 19th, 2004 12:53 PM

Let's just not overreact and call it a scam and refer to the facility as one filled with crooks!

jimshep May 19th, 2004 01:19 PM

The club in question is Jazz Alley in Seattle which I attended for a performance by the great 77-year-old Eartha Kitt.

Sitting next to us was a young couple from China who were in town on business. They asked me for advice about the tip. Perhaps they found Tip Assist before I did.

Jazz Alley is a great place which has been in bussiness for many years. I can't see any reason for Tip Assist other than to maximize tips. What would be a better word than "scam" to describe this practice?

kikahead May 19th, 2004 03:26 PM

The credit card receipts probably calculate it automatically--I would not think this to be an intentional way to "scam" people. It calculates on the entire amount regardless of what type if service it is for.

You tipped a correct amount.