Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tipping a NY concierge -- what's fair? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tipping-a-ny-concierge-whats-fair-290474/)

Cassandra Feb 19th, 2003 11:19 AM

Tipping a NY concierge -- what's fair?

If the concierge of the (NYC) hotel makes a dinner reservation for you, what's a fair tip for him/her? What about finding you last minute theater tickets?

Loki Feb 19th, 2003 12:01 PM

I don't think making a dinner reservation at a restaurant warrants a tip unless it was already booked and he/she pulled some strings to get the reservation. Same with theatre tickets; for many shows, last minute doesn't mean much. How did he get the tickets? Could this not be done yourself? If a concierge gets sold out tickets or a seat at a booked restaurant, I'd consider $20 to be appropriate. If it's just making a phone call, it's part of the cost of the room. Just my 2 cents.

Patrick Feb 19th, 2003 12:05 PM

I believe that a hotel with a concierge charges more than most hotels without, partly because of such "services". It is my belief that if the concierge merely called a restaurant and made a reservation for you, that really is his basic job, along with making suggestions of restaurants, or giving you directions to the theatre or a restaurant. On the other hand if he got you a reservation at The French Laundry at the last minute or any hard to book place, then sure a tip is in order, based upon the difficulty and the scale of the restaurant. Same with theatre tickets -- although I would imagine if he's getting you "marked up" tickets to a sold out show, he is already getting something from it. Still I suppose I'd give him a tip -- maybe $10 for a pair of "marked up" tickets. Maybe $50 if he somehow got you great seats at the last minute and charged you face value -- for a hard to get show.

HowardR Feb 19th, 2003 01:11 PM

I totally agree with Patrick.

hugglynn Feb 19th, 2003 06:27 PM

Not that I agree or disagree with any of the above posts, but about two days ago I just read guidelines on tipping in a travel magazine, and it stated that a hotel concierge should receive $5 to $10 for performing routine requests--which is what I would call a dinner reservation; however, if the request is more involved, the tip should be increased accordingly (it didn't specify amounts). While we're on the topic, for those interested, cab drivers should receive 10-15% of the fare; airport porters minimum of $1 per bag.

Sherry Feb 20th, 2003 03:51 AM

Not to start a tipping war, but I really dislike &quot;guidelines&quot; that tell you to basically tip everyone you come in contact with at a hotel. Should we also tip the front desk clerk for checking us in? <BR>I think a concierge performing his &quot;normal&quot; duties, easy reservation etc, is paid to do this job. He is not making a below minimum wage salary as the wait staff, etc. are. I am a liberal tipper, but tipping a concierge to call a restaurant for me is not going to generate a tip. I agree with Patrick above, I'm paying the rates to stay in hotels that provide these types of services, and I expect some &quot;basic&quot; services of these people to be provided.

Litespeed_Chick Feb 20th, 2003 04:24 AM

Kudos to the concierge at Plaza Athenee in NYC. He taped the final episode of the Sopranos and had a VCR waiting in my room when we returned from dinner. That was the first time I had ever used a concierge for more than mailing a letter or getting a jogging map (for which I tipped nothing). I handed over $20 just prior to going out that evening. Do you guys think that was about the right amount?

HowardR Feb 20th, 2003 05:26 AM

Lifespeed_Chick, you definitely did the right thing! What the concierge did for you is definitely above and beyond. I'm impressed!

olivia Feb 20th, 2003 08:59 AM

I usually tip a concierge about $25 when I check out, not when I make each request.

sleepycali07 Feb 25th, 2003 02:14 AM

Each person has their own way of tipping and i dont think there is a way these magazines justify their studies. Personally though, I tip most people who perform services whether we are talking about bartenders, taxi drivers, waiters, host. I guess using judgement is an opinion and i travel a lot for business and it doesnt occur to me to tip concierge but if he got me last minute tickets *for face value* I'd say $10.