Reload this Page >

Tipping a NY concierge -- what's fair?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Cassandra

If the concierge of the (NYC) hotel makes a dinner reservation for you, what's a fair tip for him/her? What about finding you last minute theater tickets?

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think making a dinner reservation at a restaurant warrants a tip unless it was already booked and he/she pulled some strings to get the reservation. Same with theatre tickets; for many shows, last minute doesn't mean much. How did he get the tickets? Could this not be done yourself? If a concierge gets sold out tickets or a seat at a booked restaurant, I'd consider $20 to be appropriate. If it's just making a phone call, it's part of the cost of the room. Just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:05 PM

I believe that a hotel with a concierge charges more than most hotels without, partly because of such "services". It is my belief that if the concierge merely called a restaurant and made a reservation for you, that really is his basic job, along with making suggestions of restaurants, or giving you directions to the theatre or a restaurant. On the other hand if he got you a reservation at The French Laundry at the last minute or any hard to book place, then sure a tip is in order, based upon the difficulty and the scale of the restaurant. Same with theatre tickets -- although I would imagine if he's getting you "marked up" tickets to a sold out show, he is already getting something from it. Still I suppose I'd give him a tip -- maybe $10 for a pair of "marked up" tickets. Maybe $50 if he somehow got you great seats at the last minute and charged you face value -- for a hard to get show.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I totally agree with Patrick.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Not that I agree or disagree with any of the above posts, but about two days ago I just read guidelines on tipping in a travel magazine, and it stated that a hotel concierge should receive $5 to $10 for performing routine requests--which is what I would call a dinner reservation; however, if the request is more involved, the tip should be increased accordingly (it didn't specify amounts). While we're on the topic, for those interested, cab drivers should receive 10-15% of the fare; airport porters minimum of $1 per bag.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Not to start a tipping war, but I really dislike "guidelines" that tell you to basically tip everyone you come in contact with at a hotel. Should we also tip the front desk clerk for checking us in?
I think a concierge performing his "normal" duties, easy reservation etc, is paid to do this job. He is not making a below minimum wage salary as the wait staff, etc. are. I am a liberal tipper, but tipping a concierge to call a restaurant for me is not going to generate a tip. I agree with Patrick above, I'm paying the rates to stay in hotels that provide these types of services, and I expect some "basic" services of these people to be provided.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Kudos to the concierge at Plaza Athenee in NYC. He taped the final episode of the Sopranos and had a VCR waiting in my room when we returned from dinner. That was the first time I had ever used a concierge for more than mailing a letter or getting a jogging map (for which I tipped nothing). I handed over $20 just prior to going out that evening. Do you guys think that was about the right amount?
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Lifespeed_Chick, you definitely did the right thing! What the concierge did for you is definitely above and beyond. I'm impressed!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 08:59 AM

I usually tip a concierge about $25 when I check out, not when I make each request.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Each person has their own way of tipping and i dont think there is a way these magazines justify their studies. Personally though, I tip most people who perform services whether we are talking about bartenders, taxi drivers, waiters, host. I guess using judgement is an opinion and i travel a lot for business and it doesnt occur to me to tip concierge but if he got me last minute tickets *for face value* I'd say $10.