Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Timeshare Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/timeshare-travel-36853/)

L. Zeev Jan 15th, 1999 02:42 AM

Timeshare Travel

<BR>Since I had several questions by some of the fodors members ( like Buddy Brooks by email and Marie/Brandon trough this forum , i think it will be nice to open a new topic about Timeshare Travel . <BR>I own timeshare for 7 years and I almost an expert in the subject , and I will be happy to answer any question on traveling trough timeshare . <BR>Here are some answers that I alreay gave to the members : <BR> <BR>1. Timeshare is NOT an investment !! <BR>if you think you will make money out of it , you will NOT !! <BR>2. Timeshare is not an ideal or everyone , only if you travel at least once a year , it means that anyway you have to pay for the flightsor rented car , in that case you can save money on the accommodation. <BR>3. Timeshare is a way of vcation that you can spend value time with your family and love ones. <BR>4. Most of the timeshares are in Resorts that have everything inside and far from <BR>Capital Cities. <BR>5. If someone want to buy timeshars here are some guiding lines : <BR> <BR>* never buy from places that are almost forcing you to buy and telling you that they have discoun " only today". <BR> <BR>* Try to buy second hand from an owner- <BR>you can get almost half price ! <BR> <BR>* You must know the company that you can make exchnges , RCI is good . <BR> <BR>* Never buy if the timeshare is limited for <BR>a several years , buy only if it's for good and for all generations to come . <BR> <BR>* You must buy a Red week in the lowest cost and with the lowest maintenance <BR> <BR>* You have to bare in mind that the costs <BR>of one week timeshare Without taking to considerations the the first investment of the purchase and the lost of interest are : <BR> <BR>Maintenance about $300 <BR>RCI membership about $130 <BR>RCI exchange fee about $160 <BR>RCI guest certificate about $ 50 <BR> <BR>Total - $640 <BR> <BR>If you can reduce the above total to $350 <BR>I will say go for it ! <BR>But if not , it is too expencive , try to take <BR>deals for vacations ! <BR> <BR>* It is trough that some of the Gold Crown <BR>Resorts charge for a week about $1800 <BR>and it looks like you can save some money , but again you can save only if anyway you travel at least once a year ! <BR> <BR>* getting a timeshare exchange in Capital City are very hard to get , because of the big demand and the low offers. <BR>The reason for it is : Lets say someone <BR>has a week in London that cost $2000 <BR>a week , he will keep it to himself or for close family and rarely will put it on the market ! <BR> <BR>I am willing to answer any question about the subject .

John Jan 15th, 1999 03:38 AM

I would add, be sure you like and can get to consistently your home resort. It is not good business to buy a timeshare just to exchange. To make exchanges, bank early and request early. <BR>We have had great luck with Timesharing. <BR>I also agree it doesn't make sense if you don't travel at least 1 week a year. <BR>One advantage we have found is we go to places that we might not have otherwise, e.g. Curacao, Sedona, Hilton Head. <BR>

JoAnn Jan 15th, 1999 04:32 AM

This is a great subject--we own timeshares at 3 different locations-the first bought in 1983. For people who want some excellent information on timeshares-exchanging, buying, selling, general chit chat, "newbie" info, travel info, AND Excellent info on areas and resorts, I suggest they go to www.tug2.net. This is a bulletin board set up by timeshare owners for timeshare owners to discuss a variety of subjects on timesharing. Anyone can get into the BBS by typing any password and your email address. A $15 membership gets you into the resort reviews (done by those who visit the resorts NOT done by RCI or II) I suggest STRONGLY that anyone owning a Timeshare or interested in buying, check into this very informative website. I have been a member for 2 years and have gotten wonderful information from my fellow TUGgers and have met some of them while timesharing, or who live close to me. If you do want to join, I would appreciate you giving my name as a reference--I can get some free membership time, or a couple of dollars. We would love to see this BBS grow! www.tug2.net Jo Ann Grob [email protected]

TSTerry Jan 15th, 1999 06:39 AM

Way to go JoAnn. Keep plugging TUG. I agree with you wholeheartedly having been a member of TUG for a long time. Timesharing opens up a whole new aspect to vacationing but it isn't cheap. We own several t/s weeks and have been heavily involved in it though we are not in the industry. <BR> <BR>You do not have to be a slave to the big exchange companies RCI and II. I haven't used them for years. I deal strictly with an independent company that has no annual fees and always gets me the best trades into the finest resorts.

Amber Jan 17th, 1999 12:28 AM

Great subject , please keep it on ! <BR>

Debi Jan 19th, 1999 09:21 AM

Anyone with any information on the Grand Seas timeshare in Daytona Beach. <BR>Anyone own or exchanged there? Thanks!

JoAnn Jan 19th, 1999 11:06 AM

Debi, Try WWW.TUG2.NET TUG = Timeshare Users Group) I wrote about it in a previous post under this title. It is a BBS devoted to timeshareing, and written by timeshare owners. Reviews are done by people like you and me, who have stayed in timeshares around the world. To get in-put in any password you want. If you decide to join ($15 the 1st yr., $10 from then on) you will be given a member password that will get you into the reviews. <BR>I have not stayed at any timeshares in Daytona Beach.

L.Zeev Jan 28th, 1999 02:34 AM

Hi, <BR>Thanks for the info about <BR>www.tug2.net <BR> <BR>They have usefull info . <BR>Thanks <BR>Zeev <BR>

L.Zeev Feb 2nd, 1999 07:53 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>Anyone knows somthing about the <BR>Manhattan Club in New - York ? <BR>How much is a week over there <BR>for a sleep-4 suite . <BR>Thanks <BR>Zeev <BR>