Timeshare pitch at the Vistana

May 31st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Timeshare pitch at the Vistana

First, please no lectures about timeshares. This isn't about timeshares.

I got one of those glossy mailers from the Vistana Resort in Orlando. The deal is 4 nights in a suite at the resort for $169, plus they give you $100 in coupons good for food at the resort or to use at many of the major attractions in the area, such as SeaWorld and Universal. You are required to attend the inevitable 90-minute "presentation" about the resort's timeshare offer. Been to stuff like that and have no problem with saying "no thanks" and walking out.

It just so happens that I plan to be in Central FL in the next few months. So I started thinking that maybe this would be worth it. Questions: Ever done it at this particular resort? Worth giving it a try?
May 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
GoTravel

You could probably get a priceline room at a resort for four nights for a little more money and not have to do the tour.

Those tours never last just 90 minutes, closer to three hours.

If I wasn't buying, my time is worth more money than that.

May 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

A resort suite on Priceline for four nights for $169? Really? The Embassy Suites on Priceline is listed for $129/nt.
May 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM

I've stayed at the Vistana, and $169 for 4 nights is a pretty good deal.

My husband and I have also done the timeshare "deals," and we always make sure to notice the time when we start, and after 90 minutes we tell them that we have to leave and that we have fulfilled the requirement. We've never had any problems with doing that.
May 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM

Do not remember if it was the same resort, but co-worker did a timeshare thing in Orlando - with same idea, walk away.

Problem was they put them in a limo and took them to some remote location for the "presentation" - it was not right on the grounds and she reported it was one-step away from being held hostage.
May 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM

Hi j_999_9.

My family & I stayed at Vistana Resort (at Lake Buena Vista) back on 12/05. We paid $164 per night (2 bd/2 ba) and we really enjoyed the place. Very clean. So much to do even just at the resort. Close to everything.

I must admit, I didn't do the timeshare there so I don't know if they take you by limo to any of the other buildings but I'm sure when your 90 minutes are up, they would stop the presentation. All of the staff was extremely professional and helpful to us.

We went during the Christmas season and the place is so huge that it didn't feel crowded.

Please see my Trip Report on TA (also known as Itlhermits there). My teens have told me that when we go back to the Orlando area, the want to stay there again.

Have fun in Florida whatever you decide!
May 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM

Check the small print - sometimes these deals say something to the effect " we reserve the right to provide alternate accomodations blah blah "

Also, a lot of these deals require you to pay a deposit upfront, before you know what dates are available. This may be especially important as you say you plan to be in Central FL in next few months.

I had one of these for Scottsdale Marriott and when questioned about availability, I was finally told that they didn't have availability until zzz and that didn't coincide when I wanted to be there.

Read the fine print on the back of the invite -carefully.

These things can be a deal if the details work for you. I went to one on Oahu and it was low pressure and we left in 90 minutes.

I had done one, years ago near Orlando to get free tickets to Disney. They wouldn't let go, even after 90 minutes. Luckily, my then young kids started getting squirmy, so we were able to escape.

IMHO, of course.
May 31st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Some of the details:
The deal is supposed to be good for one year, and they want an $89 deposit (via credit card) to reserve the date you want. I have no problem with that; in fact, I always prefer to use a cc, since it's easier to dispute if you're not satisfied.

Fine print: They do have an "accommodation of comparable value" clause, but I don't see that as a big deal, because of the cc-dispute issue.

I've heard of the presentations being offite so that you're "trapped." I plan to inquire about that -- where the presentation is held.
Thanks again for the input.