Search

Time on the Big Island?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time on the Big Island?

Hello,

We are taking a family trip to HI in July, '08. DH and I have been to Oahu and Maui before, but the kids (ages 14, 13, and 11) have never been. I would like to take them to the Big Island to see VNP. (Ok, I confess, I really want to see VNP - maybe I'll get lucky and see some lava flow!)

Currently, I am thinking of arriving at Hilo airport on the BI in the late afternoon, spending the next day at VNP, and returning to Honolulu the following day. The bulk of our time will be spent on Oahu. Is this enough time for the park? I know there are other things to do on the BI, but I think for this trip, we will concentrate on Oahu (we have to fly in and out of HNL due to ff trip availability). We have about 9 days in total(using ff miles, so extension of schedule is not possible.)

I'm open to itinerary suggestions.

As always, thanks for the help and the expertise!

-Chels
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:10 AM

Chels- I just returned from HI, first time there, and recently posted a trip report. IMO your plan for 2 nights and 1 day at VNP is perfect. We arrived at the park around 9, stopped at the visitors center first, then explored the park at a leisurely pace. We had lunch at the snack bar at the Volcano lodge, but think I would have prefered to pack a lunch. Chain of Craters rd is definitely worth the drive, don't forget to take water. Enjoy!
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Beatle,

Thanks for the response. I read your trip report, and feel more comfortable with the time we have alotted for VNP. Is there anything else near that area that we should consider doing? If we need 2 full days, we could take an evening flight back to HNL from Hilo rather than an afternoon flight.

Thanks for the help!

Best,
Chels
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:48 PM

Chels-

If you decide on taking a later flight back to HNL, then I would definitely take a drive up 19 north of Hilo to Waipio Valley lookout, a little over an hour from Hilo. The drive up along the coast is very scenic. If you leave early, you would have time to hike down the trail into the valley, a nice wide trail. It's either hard packed or paved, vehicles go down it, steep but pretty with a nice beach at the bottom. Take water, again you could pack a lunch and eat down at the beach. My wife and I walked down about a quarter mile, but turned back since we were heading over to the Kohala Coast. Even if you don't hike down, it's a pretty spot and as I said, a gorgeous drive up the coast. Have fun!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Beatle,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will do that, and take the last flight back to HNL on our second day. That way we can do a little additional exploring.

Thanks again!

-Chels