Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   time for a new countdown to Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/time-for-a-new-countdown-to-hawaii-957196/)

martym Nov 20th, 2012 04:42 AM

time for a new countdown to Hawaii

Since the holidays and the winter vacation season are approaching, it's time for a countdown to Hawaii, doncha think? All you Hawaii lovers, let's hear you shout out!!

And I'll start--Dec. 2-10 to south Kona - our 20th trip to paradise. Only 12 days away--can't wait to smell the plumeria and eat some poke!!

Tomsd Nov 20th, 2012 05:04 AM

Jealous. Have a blast.

tifa2276 Nov 20th, 2012 05:49 AM

Me too, jealous! Our next trip is not until March 1st to HNL. That is exactly 101 days from today. Enjoy your trip!!

martym Nov 20th, 2012 05:51 AM

tifa, love it! I also count the days from pretty far out when we have a trip planned. March 1 will be here before you know it.

Lookin_Glass Nov 20th, 2012 06:09 AM

Poke -----sigh

Mr_Glass and I were watching a recent episode of Hawaii 5'O and at the food truck set, they had a huge bowl of poke at the picnic table. We both got all misty eyed.

sassy_cat Nov 20th, 2012 06:10 AM

Yay! Love your reports and I hope you have a great time and get your plumeria and poke fixes!

We're going to Maui in February again. Same dates as last year for 11 nights (inc President's week), same hotels but this year we're using air miles and got upgrades (for the return at least!). It might mean that leaving paradise is a little easier and even better I get to stay for 2 extra days as there were no award flights for my chosen return date. :)

Most of all I'm looking forward to the sunshine in the dead of winter.. and the whales.. and the beach.. I could go on!

louistraveler5 Nov 20th, 2012 06:11 AM

Our next trip is May 25-June 1, 2013 to Kauai!! It will be our 5th trip to Kauai! We are going with my brother and his fiancee and it will be their first time to Hawaii.

DH & my brother's fiancee share the same birthday, May 31, so we will be there to celebrate!

6 months and 5 days!!!!!!!!

22tango Nov 20th, 2012 07:26 AM

I'll beat you by ten days, louistraveler5: May 15-26, 2013. Heading to Maui.

Lookin_Glass Nov 20th, 2012 08:05 AM

and they don't make good eatin even if you poached them. Although rooster jerkey has made great strides in the culinary world.

Marginal Nov 20th, 2012 08:08 AM

Not only that, but those buggers chase you down the street for a poppy seed muffin.

jamie99 Nov 20th, 2012 10:47 AM

Have a great trip martym.
Hope to go back to Kauai next fall.

wekewoody Nov 20th, 2012 04:40 PM

Hanalei in 217 days!

charnees Nov 20th, 2012 06:37 PM

The Big Island for our annual month in March-April. Poke, yes!! Papayas, yes!! Hula dancing, yes!!

tekwriter Nov 20th, 2012 08:15 PM

A smidge less than three months until my very first visit to Hawaii (17 days on Waikiki, Poipu and Big Island)! I am SOOOO excited! I'll be spending a good chunk of the holiday weekend nailing down more details. I keep watching The Descendents which is on heavy rotation on HBO at the moment. I just discovered a good friend is booked on the same flight as us on the way home - small world! HURRY FEBRUARY!!

wekewoody Nov 21st, 2012 04:48 AM

Another Hawaii virgin gets defrocked!

Kal Nov 28th, 2012 07:28 AM

37 days....first New Year's Eve we've missed on Kauai since '92. Been going every year since '89, except for Iniki. We used to go for T'giving/Wedding anniv until the lovely Mrs Kal's biddness took off.

Since the hotel no longer keeps the Sand Bar open for New Year's Eve so we could celebrate with all of our "local ohana", we decided to go over a few days later....let all those pesky tourists clear off the island. :))

Sad to miss New Year's Eve but nice to get a rental car for $17/day v. $25/$30 from Dec 30-Jan 2.

In 10 days we'll be "cleansing our palates" for Kauai by going to Pittsburgh. >:D<

cd Nov 28th, 2012 08:13 AM

Martym......We'll be in Kona starting Feb 1 for a month. I already have a lot of info, but please give me your favorite beach, your favorite luau, your favorite attraction, your favorite seafood restaurant, and anything else that is your favorite! Also, any reasonable places to golf? Thanks!

Kal, pretty much set for Kauai the end of Jan but if you have any favorites, I would like to hear them! I probably be in the Kountry Kitchen for pancakes every day!

sf7307 Nov 28th, 2012 08:57 AM

cd, where on Kauai will you be?

ChiSue Nov 28th, 2012 10:16 AM

Depending on tomorrow's medical procedure, we'll be doing 'Baggage Lotto' Jan. 4 into HNL, then on to OGG for two months at our South Maui condo.

(I can't predict the outcome of HA's new refusal to through-check baggage off our AA flight. All wasbooked by AA, but that leg is on a separate ticket from the rest. We may be claimin', haulin', re-checkin' and enjoying the shoeless shuffle all over again at HNL.)

cd Nov 28th, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi sf, we are staying in a condo at Wailua Bay View, Kapaa