Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Timber Cove Inn - California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/timber-cove-inn-california-968190/)

nygvic0326 Feb 25th, 2013 07:35 AM

Timber Cove Inn - California

See many conflicting reviews, mostly relating to a "captive" dining experience that some have described as over priced and poor food.

Has anyone had experience with this property. Just trying to cast a wider net than Trip Advisor.

Thanks to all.

sf7307 Feb 25th, 2013 07:39 AM

This would be WHERE?

nygvic0326 Feb 25th, 2013 08:02 AM

My apologies....Jenner, CA just north of Bodega Bay

Otis_B_Driftwood Feb 25th, 2013 01:56 PM

Some of those reviews on TripAdvisor are pretty scary. Even though Timber Cove is not that far up the coast, in some ways it's more remote than even Big Sur and it's hard to get good help.

The inn has always had a mixed reputation. The setting is incredible but because of its isolation, a guest can feel like being a "captive".

We stopped in there during Thanksgiving week and had a drink at the bar. We had a designated driver. There was a blinding rain storm and we needed to make a pit stop. The bar is wonderful and the fire was very welcoming. What surprised us though was when two gentlemen checked in and each had a cat on a leash and kept them in the lounge area with them while they enjoyed their drinks. I guess the inn is pet friendly.

gualalalisa Feb 25th, 2013 03:57 PM

The Timber Cove Inn recently made some changes and got a rave review for its restaurant in the big city newspaper.

It is a beautiful spot, a little ways south of me, and when we have a designated driver, we go for a romantic dinner. Bar is gorgeous and they have jazz played by my friend Scott and his trio most weekend nights.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Lisa (up here in isolation!)

janisj Feb 25th, 2013 04:57 PM

I've stayed there once years ago - and I did have that "captive"/overpriced feeling but had also heard about the recent improvements/upgrades.

Have driven by countless times driving up and down the coast. Usually don't stop unless I have a designated driver. Probably had drinks there 3 or 4 times. Terrific setting.

I'd consider staying there one night as part of a coastal road trip. But not for a longer stay because of its 'remoteness'.

timbercoveinn_gm Feb 28th, 2013 07:02 PM

Hello all,

My name is Keith Hill and I am the GM here at Timber Cove Inn. I just wanted to take the opportunity to publicly stand behind our food and dining experience as being very good. I have been here for ten months and our Executive Chef even less than that, but we have steadily progressed in our food & beverage program in that time to the point that it is a rarity that we do not hit the mark with our guests. If we do not, we'll make it right - no questions asked. Our prices are reasonable and consistent with comparable remote destination restaurants, if not less in many cases. There are a few other options within reasonable driving distance, and we offer a more casual dining experience in the Sequoia Lounge with a distinct and separate menu. Check us out online!

I have had the privilege of managing several four and five star-rated restaurants across the country, and I am very proud of what we do here at Timber Cove Inn.

Cheers!

Keith