Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ticks? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ticks-935372/)

zaksgrandma May 16th, 2012 03:50 AM

Ticks?

Here in the northeast, we have to be very concerned about deer ticks when hiking (they cause Lyme disease.) Is this a problem in New Mexico? What about mosquitoes? We will be in Santa Fe, Taos, and Albuquerque next week. Should I pack the Deep Woods Off? (we will be hiking in Bandelier, Tent Rocks, and other places.) Thanks

Tomsd May 16th, 2012 04:27 AM

One of the best defenses against ticks is to wear long sleeved shirts and also pants - not shorts, and wear a cap/hat.

Haven't heard of a big tick problem in the West - but hey - always good to be safe - and check yourself after hiking in the woods to see if you have any that have burrowed under your skin. The old way to get rid of them was to light a match and put it just above their exposed shell/rear end - and they usually back right out. :)

As for mosquitos - no idea but it's always a good idea to be prepared with some repellent - and usually - the ones that have some DEET work the best.

DebitNM May 16th, 2012 05:09 AM

No deer ticks here, but there are some regular "dog" ticks about. Most of the hiking you will be doing will not be IN wooded areas which lessons the risk greatly. I have never had a tick on me in my 11 years here and lots of hiking. We also don't have Mosquitos as they need dampness to live and we sure don't have that here! We do have buzzy kind of bugs, so a spray of bug repellant will help. Regular OFF will be sufficient. Make sure you have: hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, chap stick, LOTS of water for every outdoor excursion. You will not sweat here, so it is easy not to realize that you are getting dehydrated until you ARE dehydrated. Along with very strong sun, the altitude also factors in to dehydration. Water = safe, fun time.

DebitNM May 16th, 2012 05:12 AM

I also meant to add: be sure you have good footwear, our trails aren't dirt like back in the NE, mostly rock so no sandals and even sneakers aren't the best for good traction and grip.

zaksgrandma May 16th, 2012 05:20 AM

Thanks, Debit, that was just the info I needed. I hate having to wear long pants and long sleeves when hiking in warm weather as well having to practically bathe in Deep Woods Off. However, lyme disease is very nasty and deer ticks have taken over my world! The sunscreen,hat etc that you talk of, is part of our everyday routine.

DebitNM May 16th, 2012 05:27 AM

I lived in NE all my life until I moved here, had Lyme disease, so I know exactly what you mean! Have a great time here, it won't be your only visit here!

spirobulldog May 16th, 2012 07:36 AM

I'd like to check you for ticks. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Oh, but wait. I see your a grandma, perhaps I should reconsider.

Seriously, I would probably be more worried about snake than ticks. I have never encountered a tick hiking in the SW yet.

I always use rubbing alch. or peroxide, rather than the match/lighter trick to get them off of me.

ElendilPickle May 16th, 2012 12:42 PM

If you're going to be hiking near a river or stream, you might run into mosquitoes, but as DebitNM said, regular bug repellent will be sufficient.

Lee Ann

nightxsky May 23rd, 2012 08:26 AM

I work at a laboratory that tests for tick-borne diseases here in the Northeast. Not much of a problem out in that area!