Thunderbird Inn in Savannah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my salesman husband for a week in April and we are stopping in Savannah. I found a hotel called the Thunderbird Inn, and it is within walking distance (or a short cab ride) from River Street. We drove past it on our last trip there and although it doesn't look like much from the outside, it is ridiculously cheap, and the rooms look really clean and cute. Has anyone out there ever stayed here? Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Well, I would have never consider it, but the tripadvisor reviews look pretty good - especially considering the price point. It IS within walking distance of the historic district - although I would be cautious walking at night. If the pedicabs go that far, I'd take a ride in one of them after dinner. I'm going to check it out the next time I'm in Savannah.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM

It's across the street from the Bus Station and katy-cross from the County Courthouse and jail. Also on the direct exit from Hwy 17. Lot's of traffic!! If you do stay there, don't walk around at night. Especially don't go into that nearby little convenience store. It gets held up about once a week.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
OO

Oh dear!! I do not like that location at all!!!! Even in the daytime, I began to get uneasy that far down MLK. Just a tad dicey.

Another bit of crime history for the area. My husband's car was stolen, used in a robbery and a police chase ensued. It was crashed at the intersection of MLK and Oglethorpe, a block or so from this hotel's location. We didn't even know it'd been stolen, but one of his employees saw the coverage of the police chase and wreck on the evening news, thought it looked like our car and called--indeed it was. So much for that car, fortunately a company car, not personal vehicle!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM

It's not my favorite location either OO, but the new Hampton Inn "Historic District" is 1 block away and the Courtyard by Marriott is 2 blocks away. I recommend to friends/ coworkers to stay closer to the Hampton at Bay and Abercorn or closer to Bull and Abercorn, but the "big hotel chains" are populating that side of town now. I won't let them walk from the Courtyard to meet me for dinner - go by to pick them up.

The renovations at the Tbird look nice and a motor lodge by definition = car vs. walking. Perhaps, with the hotel growth on that side of town pedestrian traffic will be safer over time. Sure seems to be a lot of SCAD living quarters there too.

In any case, the rate IS great for Savannah. I'd just take my car if I'm going to be out after dark - or take a cab or pedicab to and from the hotel.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:54 AM

The new Hampton Inn Historic District =
201 MLK (at W Oglethorpe)

The Courtyard by Marriott - 415 W Liberty & MLK
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I'd just like to thank everyone who reponded to my question. I, too, noticed that there were some much more expensive hotels relatively close to this place, so I figured it couldn't be too bad! We will book this hotel and I'll post my opinion of it when we return. Thanks again!