Three days in Boston, what to do?

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 04:26 PM
Mary

Three days in Boston, what to do?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be in Boston in early October for three and a half days (Thursday til Sunday). Any recommendations on what to do, where to stay, good seafood restaurants, etc.? Are the touristy things worthwhile? Any suggestions would be appreciated. -M

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Betsy

If you like history, definatly do the Freedom Trail. If you love art, visit the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabela Gardner Museum. As far as "touristy" things, what places did you have in mind?
For seafood, eat at Legal Seafoods (many Boston locations), Atlantic Seafood Co. on Boylston St., and Skipjacks are my picks. If you venture out of the city, the towns of Essex and Gloucester on the North Shore have great seafood restaraunts. If you don't have reservations for hotels, you may already be out of luck. Fall is a VERY busy time in Boston. Hotels are also VERY expensive (it's hard to find anything under $150). Good luck!

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 06:16 PM
Betsy

If you like history, definatly do the Freedom Trail. If you love art, visit the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabela Gardner Museum. As far as "touristy" things, what places did you have in mind?
For seafood, eat at Legal Seafoods (many Boston locations), Atlantic Seafood Co. on Boylston St., and Skipjacks are my picks. If you venture out of the city, the towns of Essex and Gloucester on the North Shore have great seafood restaraunts. If you don't have reservations for hotels, you may already be out of luck. Fall is a VERY busy time in Boston. Hotels are also VERY expensive (it's hard to find anything under $150). Good luck!

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Marie

Do the touristy things, like the Duck Tour (bus/boat amphibian) if the weather's warm; go to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. Don't miss Harvard Square. Walk around Beacon Hill.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 07:17 PM
Mary

Thanks Betsy and Marie,

I do love art museums, so that will definitely be on my list of things to do. I've heard the Freedom Trail is interesting--I don't know enough about history, so that should be added to our itinerary too. Also the Quincy Market and Harvard Square. I think that will fill our three days!

I've started checking out some hotels, and you're right---most are booked! Worst case we can stay out in the suburbs and spend the days in the city itself. -M

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 04:51 AM
Boss Ton

The above are all good suggestions. I'd like to add the idea of dinner in the North End (the freedom trail runs through this area) if you like Italian food. Throughout history, this area underwent transitions from Paul Revere's neighborhood to a Jewish ghetto, to an Irish ghetto, to an Italian enclave. It is now becoming a yuppie neighborhood but does still have some Italian-American residents, as well as dozens of great restaurants. It's worth having a meal there and strolling around!

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Scott K

If you are at all a sports fan take a tour of Fenway Park!! Or if possible get tickets to a playoff game (if the old towners are still in).
An experience you will not forget!!!

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 06:29 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Beacon Hill - great for strolling (up hills), very residential.

North End - lots of great little Italian restaurants and pizza joints. Perhaps a local can suggest some of the less touristy ones.

Harvard Square - a bit down on its luck around the subway stop, but the school grounds are beautiful and the ride over the bridge on the subway is worth the trip.

Ritz Carlton bar - on the Commons, great for a romantic drink.

Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall - seemed like a big food court to me. Not that interesting.

Chinatown - good food, but this is the dirtiest area of Boston. There is no disdain of litter and trash here.

Have a good time!

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Paul Rabe

Few more suggestions:

Copley Square; Christian Science Center (the Mapparium is wonderful); wandering down Newberry Street; Hancock Tower (if the day is clear); Filene's Bargain Basement; Computer Museum (ever see an Apple I? they've got one!!); MIT Museum

At the end of the three days, you'll be looking forward to your next visit!!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 09:36 AM
carrie

Oh I too must add my 2 cents for dinner in the No End. You almost can't go wrong with any place there. And don't forget to stop by Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. for dessert and a cappucino (Pres Clinton stopped by a few yrs back). I too recommend, Quincy Market for a nice day stroll and a little shopping. Good pubs in the area for a cocktail or a bite to eat. Any of the Museums. Duck Tours is a must on a nice day too. A stroll up Newbury Street is fun, but strictly window shopping as there are expensive shops here, and you're right by Boston Commons for a picnic or stroll.

Much, much to do, hope you have a nice w/e !!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:33 PM
Sara

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) is fun to visit, especially if you like history. It's the oldest fully commisioned warship in the U.S. Navy, and fought in the War of 1812. There's a really interesting museum there, too. Touring the ship is free, there's a small admission fee to the museum.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 04:19 AM
susan

correct me if i'm wrong..but no one mentioned the aquarium?!?! that was one of my most favorite parts of my trip to boston...is it closed?

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:46 PM
Petunze

The aquarium is good, as is the general area of the wharves (pl. of wharf, right?!) -- but current drawback is the Big Dig construction, which routinely separates the Aquarium from the rest of the civilized world. I hope it hasn't closed just because of that.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Boss Ton

I don't think the aquarium is closed for the big dig construction (it'd have to be closed for years !! )

I was recently at the waterfront and it looked open to me.

Their website is:
http://www.neaq.org/

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 11:43 AM
edie

Try the Park Plaza hotel in Boston, great location just behind the four seasons, which is right on the Commons, and they have a good price, which includes either breakfast OR parking. if you have a car, choose the parking which would otherwise cost you app $25 a night. If you go see Old Ironsides, which is in Charlestown, along with the Bunker Hill Monument, eat at Figs. it is a cafe version of Olives, a very good and very expensive restaurant also in Charlestown. the area around the monument resembles beacon hill. in the north end, try Giacomo's, or Ristorante Pomodoro. just walk down Hanover st and read the menus to find a place that appeals to you. But avoid La Famiglia, which is considered good italian only by non-italians. Good mexican place in harvard square called Border Cafe. It goes without saying you must have chowder while in Boston, either at Legal Seafood or at Joe's American which is in North End and on Newbury St. Don't waste your time going into Cheers, the inside of the bar was a set. there are lots of cute shops on Charles Street, which is Beacon Hill, and then you are right near the river, which is sooo romantic to walk along.
if you are going the weekend of Oct. 2, look up The Harpoon Brewery, i think they are on the web, if not call 411, they have their October-fest, which is really really fun!