Thoughts on Korea's missle threat?

Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thoughts on Korea's missle threat?

Just a little anxious. We are scheduled for our family trip to Kauai on July 6. Our two week long awaited vacation! I am interested in what thoughts people have regarding the N. Korea missle threat? How elevated is security? Anything we should be aware of as visitors? Much info seems to be media hype, but there is still an amount of uneasiness from the resort personnel. Any thoughts?
Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't worry even a bit about North Korea if I were headed to Hawaii now.

First of all, North Korea is in the very early stages of developing nuclear weapons. They are just now testing nuclear explosions. That doesn't mean they have bombs that can be even placed on missiles. Setting off a nuclear explosion is one thing; getting one strapped to a missile is another. Even their missiles have only barely been tested.

Beyond that...Kim Jong-il may be a bit nutty, but he must be well aware that if he were to do something stupid like launch a nuclear missile at Hawaii that North Korea would become a parking lot overnight. His biggest worry, like any dictator's, is to stay in power. He's using nuclear weapons to try to improve his situation. He doesn't want the US pulling another Iraq and invading to take him out like we did Saddam. When you have nuclear weapons, other countries are a bit more afraid to invade you.

So - go and enjoy your vacation! I wish I were going with you!
Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM

Go and have fun on your trip!

There is always the chance that something bad could happen. But you can't go through life worrying about those remote possibilities. All you can do is be informed and prepared...other than that, this situation is totally out of your control.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM

You are probably FAR more likely to experience a tsunami or an earthquake in Hawaii than just about anything from North Korea!!!!
Jul 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. One never knows how serious to take these things and the resort personnel really elevated my concern! Thank you for easing my nerves!
Jul 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Well, we're going in August & my husband figures that it will either happen a week before we are to go, or it won't happen at all. With any luck, Kim Jong-il will be long gone by then.

As far as Andrew's comment "he must be well aware that if he were to do something stupid like launch a nuclear missile at Hawaii that North Korea would become a parking lot overnight."

KJ-I is a crazy man, but he's also a dying man. I honestly don't think he cares if his country would end up a parking lot. He is one scary guy.
Jul 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM

>>KJ-I is a crazy man, but he's also a dying man. I honestly don't think he cares if his country would end up a parking lot. He is one scary guy.<<

True, but he's also grooming his son to take over as leader after he dies. I think that means he's planning on there being a N. Korea left to hand over to him. Although I agree that he is crazy...