Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there anything exciting to do along the I95 highway to florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are driving to FL again, leaving NY area at end of month, arriving in Key Largo 6 days later. (his choice, not mine.)

We've done it before, and it gets boring. We have stopped in lots of places, but always looking for something interesting, as an "offshoot." we will have some books on tape.

We will stop in DC to see my sister, and will go to the Hirshhorn to see Ai Wei Wei's show. On way back, will stop in Baltimore where there is an interesting show at the Walters.

Always looking for GOOD food which doesn't have to be gourmet, and/or gardens.

Any ideas, anyone? Especially thru the Carolinas? (we will be stopping near Savannah to visit friends, and maybe ditto in Summerville, near Charleston, on the way back in Feb.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM

No trip through the Carolinas on I-95 is complete without stopping at South of the Boarder (www.thesouthoftheborder.com) in Dillon, SC. It's the biggest, cheesiest tourist trap east of the Mississippi.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I first became aware of this place back in the early 1950's when my parents drove us to Florida for Easter Vacation. We started seeing the road signs shortly after leaving Northern New Jersey and they became more prolific the closer we got. It was cheesy then and and it's still cheesy now.

Seriously, have you thought of stopping at Colonial Williamsburg (only about an hour off of I-95 southeast of Richmond?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:54 AM

From Washington, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond is less than 10 minutes off I-95 (Boulevard exit) and has a small but splendid collection, an excellent high end restaurant or a cafe for meals, and is free. Sadly, they are having a huge Dale Chihuly show right now, so you may want to avoid it. Of course you might _like_ Dale Chihuly. People do.

Two doors down is the Virginia Historical Society Museum which is also excellent, also free but does not have food.

You could go to the VMFA for lunch or stop on the way back to I-95 at Buzz and Ned's BBQ. I don't like their pulled pork -- it comes with a red sauce -- but their sides are excellent: mac and cheese, greens, baked beans, etc. and a rib plate would feed two.

Parking is laughably cheap.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM

I could not think of a larger waste of time than a visit to Colonial Williamsburg.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Pedro says "South of the Border"
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Well, Waldo, it's been a while since I was there, but I don't agree.
Around Fayetteville there should be some good BBQ.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Ack: I love Chihuly! Have seen his glass chandeliers on the canals of Venice, on the wall in Jerusalem, at the NY Botanical Garden, and probably places I have forgotten - oh, yeah: the celing of the reception area at the Bellagio in Vegas.

For me, it's a plus

But I love your idea of those museums in Richmond, and esp good food at the museum restaurant. Hopefully I cn get DH to stop there on our return trip instead of Williamsburg, where he wants to return. (we went there on our honeymoon, but over 50 years ago, and I am a believer in "you can't go home again" philosophy.

So it's barbeque near Fayetteville, and a fast bypass of South of the Border. Anything else folks?