Reload this Page >

Those Who Love Roy's Restaurants.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:16 AM
bonniebroad

He's on the Home Shopping Network right now, cooking, selling his wares. Oh, man, am I drooling!!! I love going to his restaurants in Hawaii......... maybe he'll do that chocolate souffle since he sells packages that you can do yourself!

Oh, boy, here goes my diet today! He's a bad influence........

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have been converted. My son has already gone to the one here in Chicago.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:26 AM
bonniebroad

Larry, wish we had one in the Raleigh area. I thought you would love it. Did you have the souffle, by any chance? I'm not a chocolate nut, like my husband, but I'm crazy for that stuff!

Roy has finished his stint on HSN now, but will be back at 4 PM for anybody interested. They are selling a cookbook autographed by him...... among other things.

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM

I may sound uninformed, but who's Roy?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM

You have to give the guy credit. He's almost killed by a White Tiger and yet here he is launching a new career as a celebrity chef. No wonder Seigfried has stayed with him these many years.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM
yk

I believe they're referring to Roy Yamaguchi, who has a restaurant chain called Roy's which serve Hawaiian fusion. I've been to the one in Philadelphia and was definitely impressed.
http://www.roysrestaurant.com/docs/index.html
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
bonniebroad

Roy Yamaguchi is an award-winning chef from Hawaii, who has established his own chain of restaurants with wonderful food. Here's a link to learn more about him:

http://pbshawaii.org/local_productions/hcooks/roy.html

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:03 AM
bonniebroad

I should have said he's from (living in) Hawaii NOW, but grew up in Tokyo! His food is so good......... come to the Triangle, Roy!

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Dear bonniebroad,
Not to gloat or anything, but here in San Francisco I work about two blocks away from the Roy's on Mission Street. It is our rest. of choice for celebrations and client lunches. We always order the puu puu platter for the uninitiated, just so they can go home and tell the kids, who will never forget the name of that dish!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:43 AM
bonniebroad

Dovima, you're killin' me here! I would love to live in the middle of a block where I had Roy's on one end of the street, and one of Jean Marie Josselin's "A Pacific Cafe" on the other............ that would be heaven! Go eat a chocolate souffle for me, please!

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM

The Roy's in Pebble Beach is one of our favorite places to dine in the area. This one is in a gorgeous setting, with views of the ocean.

We like to sit outside by the fire pits before dinner, then have a wonderful meal and listen to the bagpiper play at sunset. ***kim***

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Big Roys fan here. We LOVE their food. The chefs at the restaurants really know how to flavor the food. We try and eat there when on vacation, no matter where it is. We have never been disappointed.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:05 AM
GoTravel

bonnie, my husband and I were lucky enough to meet Roy a couple of years ago in Palm Springs and he personally autographed his cookbook for me! Very very nice guy!

As a side note, his mainland restaurants are a joint venture with Outback Steakhouse. The right side of the menu is the same in every restaurant but the left side is up to the executive chef in every location. So while the menus are the same, they are different.

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi Bonnie: Actually we were pretty stuffed by the time desert came around but one night we tried the cobbler which you also have to pre-order. That night the fruit filling was, are you ready, mango ginger. OMG my mouth is watering now. It was delicious.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM
bonniebroad

Oh, Larry, how heavenly sounding! Now, if DH and I were there, we'd have to have ordered that mango ginger cobbler AND the chocolate souffle!

We had a mixed berry cobbler there once - to die for!

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 11:28 AM

My husband, who is venturing into his midlife crisis by training for a second career as a chef, recently had the opportunity to work with Roy, DK Kodoma and Alan Wong at a big tasting event here on Maui. He told me that the after party was better than the main event. DH did bring me home some lobster raviolis.

Just a note though, not all of the mainland Roy's are operated by Outback. SOME of the mainland restuarants are jointly owned by RY-8, a wholly owned subsidiary of Roy's Holdings, and O.S. Pacific, which is a wholly own subsidiary of Outback Steakhouse.

Roy's Holdings owns and operates all the restaurants in HI and in Denver, Certain other locations are owned and operated by various franchisees and run under strict supervision of Roy's Holdings. Some are partly owned by their respective executive chefs. Roy has the upmost respect for his executive chefs and gives them each a lot of room to make each location unique.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM

So, I wonder which Roys is the best? Any guesses? We loved the one in Maui and Pebble Beach. I would be willing to go on a search trip to sample all and come back with the data...
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:31 AM
bonniebroad

Of the three islands, Big Island, Kauai and Maui, our favorite was Roy's Waikoloa, although all three were wonderful. I'd be willing, also, to eat at them all, in Hawaii and on the Mainland (are there any others elsewhere?) and compare, if someone will finance the venture!!!

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:11 AM

I think our Roy's at Bonita Springs in Florida is wonderful. It's been here for several years and has been super popular. About a year or so it became widely reported that it was "now owned by Outback/Carabba's". I know a bunch of people who insist that since then it is just terrible and they refuse to go anymore, just as they wouldn't be caught dead in something so lowly as an Outback Steakhouse (which agreeably I'm not particularly fond of). If I'm not mistaken the connection of ownership has always been the same, as described in a post above. I certainly haven't seen any change in quality, if anything improvement particularly in the area of service. It just shows what true "snobs" some people are.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

According to Outback Steakhouse's Corporate site:
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...=100&layout=11

They jointly own 18 Roy's Restaurants. Additionally:

www.Roysrestaurants.com
www.OutbackSteakhouse.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -