Thinking of moving to Colorado

Oct 1st, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thinking of moving to Colorado

I recently got out of the military and am deciding where to make my home. We are thinking of Colorado for many reasons: deer hunting, outdoor activities, less crowds, beautiful scenery. Also, I want to go back into law enforcement. Does anyone have any info or suggestions? We would like a very uncroweded area that has reasonable housing prices. Thanks.
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
MaureenB

See the thread: Rural Colorado....A good place to live or not? It somewhat speaks to your questions.

Oct 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM

I would suggest Ft. Collins area or Elizabeth. Ft. Collins is northwest of Denver and much less crowded than some of the Denver suburbs. Elizabeth is south of Denver and close to Castle Rock. I would suggest mountain areas, but you mentioned reasonable housing prices... which are hard to come by in mountain towns. But you do get privacy, peace and great scenery. A good real estate site to check out is recolorado.com.

Congrats on the move! Colorado is a wonderful state to live in.
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM

I think your only obstacles are less crowds and reasonable prices. Average home prices in Denver are creeping towards $300,000 but less populated parts of the state can be much less. Are you hoping to live in the mountains or foothills? Would you prefer to live on the eastern plains? Perhaps in a small town vs. the city or suburbs? Give us an idea of what you would prefer and we can be more specific about areas.

As for law enforcement, awhile back there was a lot of news about how many Denver police were going to be retiring thus a shortage of officers would occur in the coming years. My bestfriends boyfriend is going through a police training academy right now in Golden and he interviewed with a bunch of mountain towns which all seemed to be hiring. I think he is going to pick Vail (he also loves a lot of outdoor activities so it's perfect for him). I think he will have an apartment or something that specifically is rented for law enforcement in town. Housing in town is probably very expensive and limited and I have heard a lot of workers in towns like Vail have to live elsewhere in the mountains where it is cheaper.

Search this Thread