Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going to the Spy Museum in Aug. Anyone have any feedback on likes or dislikes?

Search

Thinking of going to the Spy Museum in Aug. Anyone have any feedback on likes or dislikes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking my third trip to DC in August. Taking my mom and sister along this time. I've pretty much seen all the things I've wanted to see, however we did not make it to the Spy Museum last time. Does anyone have comments on it? Is it worth the time/money? Thanks!

Tia

P.S. Still looking for casual eating places near Metro stops for lunch and dinner. Something fairly inexpensive to mid range, esp. for dinner. Any new ideas?
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Hi Tia,

It is actually quite interesting. It gets mobbed, however, so I'd suggest going when it first opens or later in the afternoon. Also, go during the week if you can.

There are lots of reasonable restaurants near metro stops, especially if you like ethic food. Negril (Jamaican), and Star of Siam (Thai) downtown, Pizzaria Paradiso and Sala Thai near Dupont Circle; Cafe Divan is Middle Eastern in Georgetown.

Check out www.washingtonian.com and click on "100 Best Bargain Restaurants" for details or more choices. These are ones that I have been to and like.

Welcome to DC!
Karen
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Doh

Although they do not publicize it, I believe the Spy Museum sells some of their tickets 48 hours in advance, so you don't have to wait in line. I have heard it is worth it (but that the lines can be very long).

Not far from the Spy museum is Jaleo, a great tapas restaurant which I think is very reasonable.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM

This was the attraction our family rated #1 during our visit to DC last month. We took the advice of their website and went on a Tuesday after 2 pm. Actually we were there at exactly 2 pm. and there were no lines at all!!

The website recommends less traffic on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, or daily after 2 pm. Allow 2 hours at least.

It's quite well done - lots of hands on and visuals. We loved it and recommend it highly!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:30 PM

The restaurant at the Spy Museum is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't been there, though. I'm waiting until I have out of town guests until I make the trip.

If you do a search in the Washington Post travel section, there were two article that might be helpful. One was about dining around the MCI Center, the other was about dining around the Mall. The first article was published last fall, the second within the past month or so.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:17 PM

We live in Washington and just took a relative to the Spy Museum and ate in their cafeteria style restaurant which was moderately priced and quite good. We very much liked the Spy Museum but I would caution that their website warns that it is not great for kids under 12. I understood why when I realized how important reading the stories around the exhibits was. My 7 yr. old did well but my 6 yr. old was ready to leave soon after we arrived. I'm sure a more mature young child might do very well. I got my tickets 2 weeks in advance via TicketMaster and you can now order this way which will give you a choice of times and dates. VERY IMPORTANT- The line winds around the building but if you have advance purchase tickets you go directly in the front door and then in your appropriate timed entry line. We had will call tickets and picked them up at the door. Have fun! Susan
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info. I guess I'm definitely adding the Spy Museum on to my list for this trip!!!

Tia
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Doh - I LOVE Jaleo! I can't believe I forgot it! I go there every time I go to the MCI Center (and I have Caps season tickets!)

Karen
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:46 AM

We went there last DC visit, in June. Short line to buy ticket and get in at their opening time on a Monday -- it got quite busy while we were in there. Enjoyed it very much and stayed quite a while (there's a lot to read). Look for the pigeon cam story! (But as someone said, it's not so much for younger kids. I think they might get bored.)

We walked from there on a beautiful summer afternoon to the Botanical Gardens, had a hotdog lunch en route by the National Gallery. Love spending time in DC -- a very enjoyable day.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:10 AM

I've been to Zola, the restaurant above the Spy Museum. It has great decor (with a subtle spy theme), is upscale and has excellent food. The prices are not moderate. They have a website if you want to check it out.
For casual fare, I'd echo the recommendations for Jaleo (Spanish tapas). For moderate, I like Cafe Atlantico (Latin American, and you must have fabulous fresh guacamole made at your table). These two are within a couple blocks of Navy Archives metro, and also not far from Spy Museum (though I'd take the Chinatown metro stop for that).
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:14 PM
ksm

Agree with everything posted. One addition, Gordan Birsch across the street from the museum is a great place to eat.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:44 PM

District Chop House is close by too. It depends if you want good food or good beer.