Thinking Caps: Hawaii Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A newly engaged friend will be getting married in April 2008 and he and his fiancee would like to honeymoon in Hawaii for a week (7 nights). They want to stay in one hotel the whole time, they're not really interested in island hopping. Also, they want a hotel in a beautiful setting that ideally has a good pool(s) and beach (or beach access), and isn't going to be overrun with families (that is, kids). Good service very important.
Their budget: $700 per night for the room, including taxes. Meals separate (they're budgeting $300 per day for meals and drinks).
What would you Hawaii experts suggest? They already have a few Hawaii guidebooks and they're asking around, but I thought I'd check for them here. I have never been to Hawaii so have absolutely no opinion (my husband hasn't been there since he was a kid).
How much luxury can you get for that budget? They're in their 30s and have a decent amount to spend (at least I think so), but they want to get good value for their money.
Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM

With a $700 per night budget, they can choose from some pretty nice hotels.

Are they planning on sightseeing or doing activities around the island much, or would they rather lay back and relax at the resort itself?

Do they prefer a quieter island - such as Kauai - or something that provides more access to nightlife and shopping?

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Off the top of my head, I would say the the Four Seasons either in Maui or on the Big Island would give them the service and luxury they are looking for. There really isn't much of a beach at the FS BI, however the beach at FS Maui is nice. They will have finished the remodeling and refurbishing by then, so the place will be close to brand-spanking new. Hope this helps.

Perhaps the JW Marriott Ilihani on Oahu?

The Hyatt on Kaua'i is a gorgeous hotel, but the beach is not really a swimming beach and it wouldn't have the luxury or service of the FS. It is nice though. The grounds are wonderful and the pools are nice. Not that they'd want to, but it is the sort of place where they could park it for a week and never leave if that is what they wanted.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Check out the Wailea area on Maui; it's got some pretty posh upscale hotels.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, I will pass it on. Esp. the tip about the renovations for the FS Maui. I had checked previous threads and noted that room prices started at $625 at the FS BI and also about the lack of beach there...so that's probably out for them...they don't want to be staying in the cheapest room category, even if the hotel is fab overall. And I think they do want a beach.
They say this will be mostly a chill-out honeymoon...some spa stuff, maybe a day of golf or some kind of daytrip cruise, but they want it to be a honeymoon, not a tourist-type vacation where they'd be rushing around to see and do things.
Service is one of their priorities...both of them have jobs with a lot of demanding client interaction and they want to spend their week on the receiving end of customer care.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM

The Four Seasons Big Island is the best resort in Hawaii. If you book now you may be able to get a 7th night free breakfast included deal. April is spring break for kids in school so there may be families around no matter where you go. The 4S has an excellent adults only pool that is also cell phone free. You are also not nickel and dimed at the 4S for beach side or pool side cabanas. Their breakfast buffet is the best on the islands, out of almost every 5* resort there I've visited. No comparison.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Ag3046

I don't know if the Ritz-Carlton in Kapaula will be finished but it has their name written all over it.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Four Seasons Big Island (Hualalai)- best hotel in Hawaii. Ground floor rooms with outdoor shower can be requested. Only thing is the Big Island isn't the Hawaii most people picture.
That would be Kauai.
Best hotel on Kauai is the Hyatt, but I don't think it holds a candle to the Four Seasons. Four Seasons Maui is beautiful but much more corporate in feel, in my opinion.
One other remote suggestion might be Hotel Hana Maui. Gorgeous, but I'm not sure it's a "best bet" for first timers beacuse of it's remoteness. Fewer (if any) kids, but spectacular for a honeymoon! They could combine FS Maui with Hotel Hana Maui and not leave the island....
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Hotel Hana Maui is gorgeous, remote and a great chill out place. Just stayed there in Nov. The service leaves something to be desired though. The lack of good food in the area is also a consideration.
Haven't stayed at Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu but my friends loved it.
Ritz, Kapalua in Maui probably a good bet too.
Four Season's Lanai at Manele Bay looks nice.
One thing, if they are getting married in April, it might be a good idea to find out when spring break is. Spring break always means kids at hotels.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Kapalua isn't actually "on" the beach but a little bit of a walk and the hotel doesn't feel at all Hawaiian to me.
It would be low on my list.
I hesitated with Four Seasons Lanai as it's gotten so-so reviews.
Spring break varies so much from school to school but much less chance of kids later in April.
I agree with the service at Hana Maui.
I think it has something to do with the remote location.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM

They won't exactly have a hard time with that kind of budget. If a beach is their main priority, I'd say Maui -- the Four Seasons or the Grand Wailea.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM

We were at the Hotel Hana Maui in February and had a very different experience with regards to service. It could not have been better. All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. Granted, we are not high-maintainence resort folks and don't need to be fawned over, spritzed or waited on hand and foot. The level of service was very much in sync with the surroundings...low key and filled with aloha.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Suggestions:
1. Four Seasons Maui (just remodeled)
2. Ritz Carlton Maui (remodel starts soon)
3. Rent a house
-Remax kauai has a good website
-vrbo.com has a good variety
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I wouldn't suggest the 4S Lanai if they are first time visitors to Hawaii, not much to do on the island (other than rent a 4X4 for the day and drive, that's it) and you are basically stuck eating at the hotel the entire stay.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM

$700 a night budget can really get them a bunch of choices. For a really nice property they are being very realistic about their budget. In Maui I would stick with the wailea area, fairmont, grand wailea, FS. Ritz carlton will be done in january 2008, but who knows what they will be charging when they are done. Maybe even kauai at the princeville. Kauai tends to be quieter than maui and the princeville does tend to have less families with kids. While the hyatt is nice I would say during spring break time will probably be more children. If the big island the kona village may be nice for them , it's more per night than $700 for an oceanview, however if you budget in their meal allowance would be about right because the kona village is meals included, not to mention they offer their luau to their guests for about 90% less than the original price. Word of advice to them, if doing something like the fairmont or grand wailea, maybe even FS or ritz, try getting a travel agent with access to wholesale prices. I know our prices on many of these properties are a lot lower than the property direct and always beat AAA prices as well (it helps if they book air or car with it, a lot of these properties give lower package prices on the hotel through wholesale as long as something else is in the package and can take off in some cases hundreds of dollars.)
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Yes, I would have suggested the Hyatt Kauai also but check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com, lots of children during that time....Kauai is the prettiest of the islands but I think it may not be very quiet. There's also the Princeville on the north shore but there is only one pool, but I think it will be less congested that the Hyatt. Kona Village on the BI doesn't have television or radio's.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I think that if this is a chill-out vacation where they specifically don't want to be out seeing various tourist attractions, Lanai is a good choice.

I personally prefer Manele Bay to Koele Lodge. Both resorts have golf and spas. There is a limited amount of activities, such as catamaran cruises, snorkeling, diving and the 4x4 tours.

We were there for the weekend last August and I didn't notice a lot of kids around, maybe because there is so little to do on the island.

I am partial to the Kea Lani in Wailea and the Hualalai on the Big Island also.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As some others have said, I would look into the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua. It is currently closed for what sounds like a complete renovation. I was there a couple of years ago and it was very nice - should be even better once renovated. For $700 a night you may be able to get a room at the club level - which I would highly recommend.

The hotel is on the beach - but is set back and on a bluff so to get the the ocean is a quick (few minutes) walk down the property to the water. Unless you have some mobility issues, I don't see this as being a big deal. The views from the hotel are excellent, as it is on higher ground.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM

From the outside looking in... please put the Princeville Hotel in Kauai on your list! I can't vouch for the rooms... but if the diningroom, lobby and lounge are any indication... WOW! The setting is the most spectacular that I've seen. It's screams romance and luxury to me.

We looked at the Grand Wailea in Maui too... and the grounds and hotel are BEAUTIFUL!!! The beach is gorgeous. I did see plenty of families... it was summer. It would be an awesome place to stay.

But why do I vote for Princeville Hotel? Man can only do sooo much. He can build luxury beyond belief... he can create spectacular grounds and pools... But, I haven't seen man duplicate what God has put together as viewed from the public areas at the Princeville Hotel.

I think there are some specials through Starwood... 35% off and 6th nt free.

Other people certainly can give you more info... I was there in June... April???

But, if I were in their shoes... I'd certaily check it out...

Please let us know their choice... and reviews... they should have an awesome honeymoon!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM

My vote is for the 4S Hualalai or the Mauna Lani (Oceanfront room), both on the BI.

The BI is uncrowded, has wonderful golf, great restaurants, and I believe the hotels on the Kohala coast are the nicest in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -