Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Thinking about flying into Hana Airport and driving back to the West

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

We will be on the Big Island and am thinking about taking a Charter Plane to get us to Hana. Rent a car there and drive to the Sheraton at Black Rock. That way we won't have to spend time driving back over the same route. The charter will be a little bit more and a $25 charge for not returning the car to Hana, but it won't take all day and I think it's cheaper than spending the night in Hana.

Is there something I'm not thinking about?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Are there car rental companies in Hana ?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:19 PM

I think you should focus on spending time in Hana. If you just fly in, and have all of your luggage, you might not want to get out and enjoy the ocean and waterfalls. This part of Maui is the ONLY place on the island that will remind you of the Big Island (remoteness) It is heaven. Stay at the Hana Maui,
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

All of our hotels are booked and paid for so I can't change where we will be staying.

We will be in Kauai for a week, BI for 5 nights, Maui for 5 nights, Molokai for 3 nights and Oahu for 2 nights. I'd like to see the blue pools and black beach, but I don't want to spend a solid day back and forth on the same road. If I could do it one way and take our time, that would be great otherwise we'll skip it. Molokai will be our "tranquil time".
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Alamo rents out of Hana Airport.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM

We were in Maui in October 2003. I think your plan is an efficient use of time, although most people on this board would recommend taking your time to see the recommended sites along the route, and the backside of the volcano. Try to get an early flight into Hana, if available, so you will have plenty of time exploring the waterfalls and the town of Paia. Have a great time.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wolfshin: Because we will be taking the horseback ride into the crater on Maui and touring the Volcano National Park on the BI, I am thinking I can skip the backside of the Maui volcano. And the hiking we will do on Kauai in the Napali area will give us the hike to the waterfall area. But driving Hana backwards to the west coast sounds like it could be an alternative to the round trip. Although I hadn't thought about having all our luggage and that could be a theft hazard if we get out and walk around at the Blue pools etc.

The only fligt I can find so far is on Pacific Wings direct from Kona to Hana for $65. The Hilo to Hana flight arrives in Hana at 7 pm which is way too late. I'll keep looking for a flight from Hilo or I many have to flip my BI itinerary.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:52 PM

GREAT IDEA!
Wish I had thought of it.

I checked the Pacific Wings website
[did not call them]
Looks like from the Big Island [only] charter service is offered from Hilo and Waimea to Hana.[unless you are using charter from Kona to Waimea and on to Hana]. Waimea is only about an hour from Hilo. So if it is an early morning flight, that would be great.

The "Road to Hana" drive is a major part of the Hana experience. So that would work well. Would suggest to be traveling back toward Paia/Kahului before noon/1pm. [before the masses of one day turn-a-round sightseers make the return trip....in the pm.]

You can't do everything in one trip...but this works well....I like it!
Good plan.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

We would be driving against the traffic coming into Hana - Is this going to be a problem with narrow roads?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I would not be concerned as much about narrow roads and the counter traffic if you drive slowly, as I would be about having difficulty finding some of the sights along the road to Hana backwards.

The audio tour we used in our car does not point things out to you in this direction, so I would suspect that you need to study in advance the maps & text in Maui Revealed to find some of the places, not immediately viewable from the road to Hana.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Nancy, I've flown in or our of the Hana airport a dozen times in past years (we've vacationed regularly at the Hotel Hana Maui), and I think flying into Hana is a terrific idea.

First, you get an aerial perspecive of the island that you can't get from the ground - the palis, the coast, and Haleakala are very different from 1000 feet up, and an adventurous pilot will make the trip memorable (the pilots on the old Royal Hawaiian flights fit this bill especially well).

There are (or were) two rental concessions at the Hana Airport, dealing mostly in Jeeps and other light duty SUVs.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Nancy:

The drive is going to take 2-21/2 hours. The narrow roads are really not a problem...just slow. Stop when you see something you like...enjoy...it is natural beauty. Don't try to "overplan", it's just a pretty drive.