Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Things you left behind/or should have (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/things-you-left-behind-or-should-have-385970/)

jewels_02 Jun 28th, 2008 09:21 AM

Things you left behind/or should have

I'm planning a trip in August, it's my first time flying. Does anyone ever recall something they decided not to take on a trip and wound up regreting not having it? Or, what about the reverse, did you ever pack something that turned out as useless? Just wondering what others experiences are on this to get a better grip on what to include on my packing list or that I should remove all together.

suze Jun 28th, 2008 09:50 AM

Sure, most of the things I think to toss in at the end of packing "just in case" have been mistakes or not needed.

About the only thing I've regreted not packing a few trips is a small travel umbrella.

If you wanted to post your list of the things you're wondering if they are necessary, it's be easier for us to answer your question :-)

Also it depends where you are travelling to. Are there stores that you can easily pick up a forgotten item (flash light, corkscrew, earplugs, suntan lotion, whatever) OR do you need to be self-contained in what you pack?

joebear Jun 28th, 2008 09:52 AM

A warmer jacket....
That was oversight on my part, I assumed it was not windy which made it much colder than the temp I checked before departure...

First time flying, it goes by quickly...I carry on a light jacket sometimes the temp varies...more room in suitcase. I bring a large purse type bag and stuff my actual travel purse in it so it qualifies as only one carryon...Take some snacks should your flight be delayed along the way....NO liquids of course.

CAPH52 Jun 28th, 2008 09:55 AM

FWIW, whenever I have my inevitable moment of panic just after leaving on a trip and wondering what I've forgotten, I remind myself that as long as I have my passport/drivers license(whatever is needed for the particular trip), money/credit cards, my medicine and whatever tickets I need, anything else I may have forgotten is "fixable".

suze Jun 28th, 2008 10:04 AM

So true. Passport, cash, ATM, credit card and anything that is prescription (contacts, glasses, sunglasses, medications) are the things that are most important to remember.

Sarah Jun 28th, 2008 12:26 PM

Sun tan lotion bought on the mainland, start of season. Went to Hawaii and it was usless.

If you are going to a sunny location and leaving a location that is dark 6 months out of the year buy the sunscreen at the sunny place. Its rare but the shelf life is shorter in a sunny location. YOU CAN END UP WITH A BURN FROM EAST COAST 45SPF....Happened to me.

SusanCS Jun 28th, 2008 02:46 PM

I've gotten in the habit of taking a sweater in my carry-on bag because I've been in some planes that are absolultely freezing!

However, I agree with everyone else about what you really must have - you can always buy it later. Not so for something you'll need on the plane. I'd stick in a sweater or something warm just in case.

tprsrs6 Jun 28th, 2008 02:46 PM

Just wanted to congratulate you on your first time flying. I'm 43 and I just flew for the first time 2 years ago. I started simple....just a one hour flight. I flew again last summer and have another trip at the end of July. I'm feeling like an old pro now!
Hope all goes well for you!

claire_bluesky Jun 28th, 2008 04:17 PM

I always take too many clothes.

So true, SusanCS, about bringing along a sweater on the plane. Recently, I was so cold that I complained to the flight attendant. (No blankets on board of course.) Haven't made that mistake again, as I was so miserable. Luckily, it was not a long flight.

Surfergirl Jun 28th, 2008 04:52 PM

Yeah, my husband. . . ! :)

Seriously, I like to pack light, so I think I am really stingy on shoe packing, figuring I can always buy a pair if I need. But there was this one trip to Italy in summer (ouch!) when I really regretted not bringing a worn in pair of summer sandals. My feet looked like they'd been run over by a Mack truck after a day and a half of walking. It took me a WEEK to find and wear in a pair of sandals that I ultimately found in Positano, and this was after many days running off to the farmacias getting bandages for my feet!

LoveItaly Jun 28th, 2008 06:30 PM

Hello jewels, I always try to pack as light as possible. However one item (besides the obvious mentioned here) that I always pack is a travel size flashlight. I put it in my carryon bag. I have seldom needed it but the few times I have needed it due to power going off in hotels it was invaluable. I have had it for so long I don't remember where we bought it but assume a travel store/website would have them. And make sure it has a fresh battery(s) in it. A few bandages is good to have too just in case you get a cut on your finger. Have fun!

traveljunkie28 Jun 28th, 2008 07:24 PM

I always pack too many shoes. I'm trying to do better each trip but it's so darn hard! :-)

Marginal Jun 28th, 2008 07:33 PM

I much prefer a headlamp (like Pezel) to a flashlight. You can wear it on your head, leaving your hands free.

I always have one of those braided tube laundry line. Excellent for laundry and other uses, too.

Realistically, you never really need more than 2 pair of shoes or pants. (OK- add some Keen sandals)And more than 4 sets of underwear. Take some Woolite or other laundry-type soap. It is much easier to soak and wrinse out underwear at night than to lug too much stuff around.

Invariably, I take too many clothes. You find out that other people just don't care if you wear the same outfit every single day. Really.

I like Magellan's catalog for good ideas about space saving products.

Take music in some form for the plane.

It would be helpful if you told us where you are going and for how long. There are many, many packing lists available by experienced travelers, but everyone's situation is unique.

dmlove Jun 28th, 2008 07:52 PM

Especially if I'm traveling from place to place, I like to have a laundry bag with me for dirty clothes. (If I'm staying in one place, I just use the bottom of the closet :) )

Bobbe Jun 28th, 2008 09:07 PM

For the flight, I always wear a pair of earplugs (although some people prefer noise-cancelling earphones). If it is a long flight, I bring a pair of lightweight slippers (not the flip-flop type). And if I need to sleep, I bring an eyeshade and take a heavy dose of melatonin. If you are flying in economy section and have the room in your carry-on bag, I like to have a small camping pillow that fits into a small stuff-sack. You can get these at an outdoor supply/camping goods store.

joesorce Jun 28th, 2008 10:05 PM

Remember that lady who packed an artificial leg in her checked luggage, and then America Worst merged with US Scareways....and.....and.....the rest was LEGendary fodors material.

jayne1973 Jun 29th, 2008 05:09 AM

I have sometimes regretted not bringing my own reading material for the flight...those airline mags don't always cut it!

suze Jun 29th, 2008 09:48 AM

I buy a couple magazines at the airport store for a flight. I can't concentrate enough to read even a light paperback novel. And always also buy a snack like a small bag of cashews or trail mix, and bottled of water if allowed.

Depends on how long the flight is and if it is an overnight one, if I also think about things like earplugs, eyemask, slippers/socks, etc.

Like LoveItaly, I always travel with a small flashlight or teeny booklight and keep it on the bedside table of my hotel room with my watch.

dmlove Jun 29th, 2008 09:51 AM

<i>I can't concentrate enough to read even a light paperback novel</i>

Yup, if you read People cover to cover, it whiles away about 1-1/2 hours!

LoveItaly Jun 29th, 2008 12:27 PM

Hi suze, I put the travel flashlight on the nightstand also and I put my glasses on the nightstand along with the hotel card key.

Jewels, I always bring at least one book with me and that has helped when flights have been late as if I have a good book to read I am happy!