Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Things to do in Seward, AK in next March (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/things-to-do-in-seward-ak-in-next-march-904963/)

ostertag Sep 4th, 2011 06:40 AM

Things to do in Seward, AK in next March

Hi all,

I will come to Alaska in next March. Do you recommend me to drive from Anchorage to Seward? Anything worth visiting along the route or in Seward?

Thanks.

Bobmrg Sep 4th, 2011 07:44 AM

We took a tour of Resurrection Bay out of Seward and enjoyed it immensely. Captain of the boat had hooks in place of hands due to injuries from an emergency he had responded to, and it was amazing to watch him handle the wheel, the throttles, his binoculars, and the radio microphone with those hooks. Quite a guy.

Bill_H Sep 4th, 2011 07:58 AM

Most tourism is geared for summer visitors and a lot of things won't be open in March.

<b>Do you recommend me to drive from Anchorage to Seward?</b>

Check avalanche conditions on this road, it's possible you could drive to Anchorage and then the road could get closed after an avalanche, sometimes for days. If conditions are good then go for it ...

<b>Anything worth visiting along the route or in Seward?</b>

Maybe the Wildlife Conservation Center, which is open year-round. Also Portage Glacier. In Seward the Sealife Center is pretty much a must-see. If any boats are doing tours and the weather is good then a bay trip would work.

hpeabody Sep 4th, 2011 08:09 AM

Do you have to go in March, Or can you wait until May , June or July? I think March may be too early and still very wintery. But to answer your question, I took the train from Anchorage and enjoyed it very much. If you are driving you may not be able to enjoy it so much. The best thing from Seward I think is the Kenai Fjords Catamaran. My experience was fantastic!

abram Sep 4th, 2011 09:10 AM

The behind the scenes tour (book in advance) at the SeaLife Center was excellent.

Gardyloo Sep 4th, 2011 10:45 AM

March will be very dicey in terms of weather. Some years it can be okay, others very snowy/icy (or wet in the daytime, icy at night) so if you're not familiar with winter driving, you'd best wait until you're there and make a command decision.

Even if you can't make it to Seward (or choose not to do so) the first half of the trip - between Anchorage and Portage - is incredibly scenic and well worth a day trip. Visit Girdwood and the Alyeska resort (take the tram/gondola up to the top for some of the best views in Alaska) and maybe drive up to Portage Lake to see if there any icebergs from the glacier floating (probably all still stuck in the ice) but good views of hanging glaciers on the valley walls.

If you do go to Seward be sure to dress very warmly as it will be c-o-l-d out on the water.

ostertag Sep 6th, 2011 06:34 AM

Re hpeabody

I will be there in March since I want to see the aurora in Fairbanks. However I think I spend max. 5 days in Fairbanks is enough and would like to find other places to visit near Anchorage. Any places do you recommend? Thanks.

dfrostnh Sep 6th, 2011 08:28 AM

The ceremonial start of the Iditarod is in Anchorage, March 3 2012.

Gardyloo Sep 6th, 2011 10:17 AM

<i>The ceremonial start of the Iditarod is in Anchorage, March 3 2012.</i>

That's an excellent point; you don't mention what part of March you'd be visiting, but the Iditarod start coincides with the conclusion of Fur Rondy (Rendezvous) in Anchorage which runs from Feb. 24 to March 4. Fur Rondy is a <i>great</i> time to visit Anchorage - sled dog races, performances, parties and dances, parades, a snowshoe softball game, fireworks... lots to see and do. www.furrondy.net

ChildVenture Sep 7th, 2011 11:06 PM

There is a wide range in the level of adventure/risk of various activities in Alaska. Winter offers many opportunities for the moderate to highly adventurous. I recommend heading out on the trail either by ski or snow machine. There are a wide variety of outfitters who offer gear and equipment for rent as well as guides to keep you having fun in the backcountry without getting lost. Some excellent lodges can be found on the Yetna river, accessible via the Deshka Landing. This trail system is heavily traveled, offers an easy ride with several lodges open for coffee and cocoa on the way.

ostertag Sep 9th, 2011 09:02 PM

I will come in mid/late March. Any suggestions?

jetset1 Sep 10th, 2011 07:51 AM

*Yes, dress in layers, with light thermal materials, fleece, waterproof. It can be sloppy, with rain/melting snow, and it's always a sure bet it is messy, so think of your feet, hands, and head for appropriate clothing.

As for avalanche danger, the road is well traveled by many, and the road crews are excellent. There will be few, if any, delays. We have never had a problem from the lower peninsula, getting over the pass, around Turnagin Arm, etc.

Good luck with your aurora viewing. I have enjoyed the northern lights during our darkest winter months, and by the end of March, we are happy to have longer days back.:)

Gardyloo Sep 10th, 2011 08:09 AM

By the end of March you will probably be encountering "breakup" conditions in Anchorage and elsewhere - a lot of mud, potholes, rotten snow. Also watch out for icy conditions in the mornings and evenings, as the day's melted snow gets re-frozen overnight. Frankly (IMO) not the best time to visit, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

NorthwestMale Sep 10th, 2011 12:51 PM

I went to Anchorage in early April one year, AND I picked Seward on the map for a day trip.

The weather was 'crip' during early April of my year but there was nothing hindering road travel. I believe it might have been snowing a bit on the path between Anchorage and Seward, but there was lots of scenery to be found on that path and I would definitely recommend it.

Anchorage, in my experience, played about as dull as a place one-fifth its size during that chilly time of the year, and IF all the roads are passable for you, the 'entertainment' that is driving will still be one of the better experiences for your buck, even with high gas prices.

The crisper the air, the better the nearby scenery might be (from the semi-warmth of your car).

I'm sure fate, and two or three weeks' difference, could find your Anchorage area experience considerably different (weather-wise)... but I wholly endorse the trip to Seward and would generally suggest optimism about enjoying your experience in southern Alaska. The numbers of snow-capped mountains throughout the state will leave you in awe, and the roads need only be passable for you to gain that sense of Alaska.

janisj Sep 10th, 2011 01:44 PM

"<i>I will be there in March since I want to see the aurora in Fairbanks</i>"

It seems you are basing the entire trip around seeing the aurora borealis. I assume you know there are no guarantees. And even IF there is aurora activity, that only works if the weather cooperates . . .