Notices

Things to do in Providence?

Dec 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
KBM
Original Poster

Things to do in Providence?

My teenage daughter and I will have Sunday, April 5th to explore Providence. (We'll spend Monday at Brown University.) What should we see and do? We like art, museums, history, biking...Also, please recommend places to eat: We can afford one nice dinner. The rest need to be cheap.
Dec 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Go to the RISD museum. Their regular museum has wonderful things including some nice impressionist pieces. And they just opened a whole new building.
http://www.risdmuseum.org/default.aspx

The area around the museum and Brown is historic and lovely to walk around.

My son is a senior at Brown and the campus has great energy.

My favorite restaurant is Al Forno - their food is wonderful, but pricey. They do not take reservations, so I suggest you go on the early side.
577 S. Main St. 401-273-9760

Dec 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM

IMHO, extra time on ANY college tour would be well-spent in exploring the community that your student might live in for 4 years. Formal campus tours give very selected and narrow perspectives. Walk along Main Street (in Providence, this is literal), Benefit, Hope. Watch what the students ( from Brown and RISD) do with their time, the places they go. Talk to a few of them. Eat where they eat.
Dec 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Anonymous makes a very good point. Thayer Street borders one side of campus and has little shops and restaurants and is worth checking out. What kind of food do you like? I can ask my son for some suggestions of inexpensive restaurants that the students frequent.

Search this Thread