Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Things to do in New Orleans for the frequent visitor . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were just in New Orleans last summer and will be returning again in a few weeks. Dh & I have been there together several times and I lived there as a kid so we've done a lot of the usual touristy things (swamp tour, Oak Alley, Middendorfs, Haunted History Tour, carriage ride around the FQ). One thing we've missed that we plan to do is a cemetary tour.

What other suggestions do you have for things we might have missed? We won't have a car so we would prefer to do things in/around the city this time. It is our 10 year anniversary so anything romantic would be great! Thanks!!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM
emd

snowrooster, are you combining the garden district tour w/the cemetary tour? You can take the St. Charles St. car there, at least we were able to a few yrs ago.

Although I don't know what shape that area is in post-hurricaine, we loved the garden district when we were there. Really incredible architecture. We stopped for a drink at the Columns Hotel's Victorian Lounge, where Louis Malle's film "Pretty Baby" was filmed.

http://www.tourneworleans.com/garden_set.html

http://www.inetours.com/New_Orleans/..._District.html

http://www.thecolumns.com/tour.htm

Like I said, I don't know about that area post-hurricaine...

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Check out the F-M, I spend a huge amount of time just wandering as well, & eating, & drinking. I always take an afternoon, grab a paper or a book, & spend some time @ the Royal Tea Room. I also have some favorite galleries that I always visit. I tend to favor the cemetery Garden District (the name escapes me). I will likely be there July 14th-15th myself.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:42 AM
emd

Oh, I see from the other "new orleans parking" thread that it looks like the St. Charles St Car is not up and running yet...
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

SAnParis - We'll be there around that same time - arriving on the 12th! The two Ohio Defenders (in reference to our nemesis RBCal) in New Orleans at once!!! We really need Fodors pins - we could be sitting next to each other sipping on Hurricanes and not even know it!!!

I know there is a cemetary accross from Commander's in the Garden District. I'd like to do the one w/Marie Lavoiue (sp?) - I'm sure I can find it w/a little research. I've heard Save Our Cemetaries does good tours. I think I'd like to tour the devasted areas as well - I believe that tour is offered through Gray Line?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:08 AM

And a third Buckeye going on the 20th to pick-up after you both!!

Please let us know how your trip went and what you saw - we may end up changing our plans if you had an adventure that we wouldn't want to miss!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM

That was the one I was referring to...I steer clear of the Hurricanes though, you can likely find me at the Tea Room or the Alexander & Victor Gallery during the day. I also like to hang out @ O'Flahertys (on Toulouse) in the early evening, particularly if Katie Smith (who doubles as a bar tender) is playing. In the evening you'll likely find me in Dickie Brennans bar puffing on a stogie (before or after dinner). I'll wear my yellow Montserrat shirt so you can spot me...
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:40 AM

snow - Where will you be dining ?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I can tell you exactly where we'll be dining! I totally plan each meal - don't want to waste an opportunity to eat well in NO:

Breakfasts: Cafe du Monde & Brennans
Lunch: Mothers, Acme, Central Grocery
Dinners: Emerils, JacqueImos, Bayona, Gumbo Shop
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM

OMG, Snowrooster! You sure are making me hungry. ;-)
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I'll be @ Cafe Beignet for breakfast & Acme or CG for lunch, haaven't decided about dinner yet.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM

SAnPan, have a good trip and let us know your impressions of the city as it struggles to recover. Also, sorry for all the incredibly rude insults you've had to deal with over on the Europe board. Inexcusable.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM

The comments of others seldom disturb me in the least...I'll be happy to share my thoughts of NOLA upon my return. I am basically doing a 'safety check' as my wife wants to return w/the kids. We'll see how it goes.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Dan

Speaking of kids, the Louisiana Children's Museum just reopened last weekend. It was packed! I took my son to the Museum and to the Aquarium and we were awash in rugrats.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Glad to hear the Aquarium is re-opened as well. Any suggestions you can make Dan ?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM

The Zoo is great. Art museum, D-Day museum, Mardi Gras World, Rock and Bowl, the museums at the Cabildo, Pharmacy museum, Preservation Hall, and the Longue Vue House and Gardens - check on this last one though - I think it had some major damage from Katrina and might not be open again yet.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM

You can also check out Loyola and Tulane Universities. Places to eat Uptown include the Camellia Grill (on Carrollton @ St. Charles), Figaros (on Maple) and Taqueria Corona (on Magazine). Highly recommed the grilled onions at the latter. In fact, when I was in NOLA before the hurricane, the area around TC, the Magazine and Napoleon areas, and up on Tchopitoulas, were good fun for walking. Went by all three of my old apartments!

Don't know if you mentioned it, but the paddle boat cruise from Audobon Park to Riverwalk is fun too.

Of course, I don't know if any of those are open.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:52 AM

The shops on Royal Street are always amazing!!! Such fun to dream!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great ideas!! Can anyone recommend a good company that does cemetary tours? The tour I'd like to do (w/Marie Lavouie's gravesite) through Save Our Cemetaries only runs on Sundays, which is the day we are flying out.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM
JR

Several companies do tours of St. Louis No. 1, the cemetery nearest the Quarter. This is the one with Marie's tomb, too! Ask your hotel concierge or B&B host(ess) for details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -