Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Things to do in Fresno? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/things-to-do-in-fresno-1013400/)

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 03:55 AM

Things to do in Fresno?

Long story short, I was there for a holiday to meet a girl. Drama happened and she doesn't want to talk or see me. I'm going next month with no plans and nobody to go with. Refunding will only get me about 40% of my money back, the most.

sludick May 5th, 2014 05:25 AM

Yosemite. Hopefully you don't have to stay in Fresno lodging?

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 05:34 AM

What is there to do there?
I'm staying at La Quinta Inn Hotel.

doug_stallings May 5th, 2014 05:45 AM

There's not really anything to do in Fresno itself. You need to rent a car and explore. Yosemite sounds like a wonderful idea, or Gold Rush country if you aren't into a national park. Cancel the La Quinta and move on.

tomfuller May 5th, 2014 06:19 AM

I agree with Doug. Rent a car and head north on 41. There are a couple fair motels in Oakhurst if you can't get lodging inside Yosemite. After coming in the south entrance turn right and go see the Mariposa Grove.

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 08:00 AM

Eh. I won't be able to drive while I'm there. I have a hotel already booked in Fresno for a week.

doug_stallings May 5th, 2014 08:08 AM

Are you serious? Then I think you're not going to have a very good time. You probably should look here: http://www.fresno.gov/Visitors/Default.htm.

But I think you have a lot of movies and fast-casual food in your future.

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 08:11 AM

I think I can cancel the La Quinta, but I still have the driving issue.

FaceInTheCrowd May 5th, 2014 08:50 AM

I suggest you cut your losses at the 60% you can't get back. Or pay the fee to change your ticket and go somewhere else.

doug_stallings May 5th, 2014 09:22 AM

Yes, I think that's the best solution. Cancel the hotel reservation and switch your flight to San Francisco or Oakland. That way you won't have to drive and can still have a modicum of fun.

MichelleY May 5th, 2014 10:14 AM

Troll. I think this is the same troll who has the carsick granny.

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 10:49 PM

Well, which is the better of the two?

Why do you suspect I'm a troll? I was made a choice to meet up with someone and they dumped me before we even met.

FattyJoe May 5th, 2014 10:50 PM

I made***

sludick May 6th, 2014 04:04 AM

It is unfortunate that you're being stuck making do in Fresno, it's not known for being a place most people would want to visit. Check out the link that Doug posted for you, if you do have to stay in Fresno.

As far as San Francisco vs. Oakland - I'd pick San Francisco. However, for budget purposes you could look for lodging in Oakland near a BART station and do your sightseeing in San Francisco pretty quickly. All up to you.

doug_stallings May 6th, 2014 05:15 AM

The destination is San Francisco, and I suggested changing your flight to SFO or Oakland because those are the most convenient airports. Not because I expected you to spend time in Oakland, though it is becoming fairly trendy in a Williamsburg kind of way. (But hint: It's your response to that suggestion that makes you sound "trollish".)

tomfuller May 6th, 2014 05:50 AM

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Allegiant has flights from Fresno (FAT) and Las Vegas. The fares range from $37 to $64.
You can also take a taxi to the Amtrak station and take a northbound San Joaquin train to Merced to get a YARTS bus to Yosemite. You can also continue on the San Joaquin all the way to Emeryville with a short bus trip over to one of several stops in San Francisco.

FattyJoe May 7th, 2014 10:46 PM

I spoke to American Airlines, still waiting for them to get back to me again. I was thinking of staying there but maybe not the best idea. I spoke to her and her family, they were expecting me and she still says "I don't know".

LSky May 8th, 2014 06:05 AM

It sounds like a good time to catch up on your reading. Who knows? Since you're intent on going, there must be something there for you.