Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Things to do in Denver? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/things-to-do-in-denver-452370/)

heathernikki Nov 19th, 2008 12:43 PM

Things to do in Denver?

My husband and I will be in Denver December 17-23 and are looking for things to do. I used to live there but forgot what we did in the winter! I do not ski or snowboard so that is out. Could someone please send us ideas of events that may be going on at that time? Much appreciated.

fmpden Nov 19th, 2008 01:00 PM

What do you want to do or see? Give me a hint to work with.

DalaiLlama Nov 19th, 2008 02:17 PM

Just a few things you may not know about, depending on how long you've been away - use Google when I don't list the website of course. Denver is great, everytime I go there they have something new to brag about:

Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster.

The new wing of the Denver Art Museum.

The oversized blue bear looking into the new Convention Center (from the northeast side, from 14th St.).

The tall dancer sculptures on the grass on the southwest side of the Denver
Performing Arts Complex along Speer Boulevard (adjacent to the Convention Center).

The new Museum of Contemporary Art www.mcadenver.org

The Rocky Mountain Arsenal is now open to the public, now a wildlife area with guided tours and a visitor center and hiking paths - great for those mild Denver winter days!

www.thewildlifeexperience.org is new and has interesting events and exhibits
Ride the new www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail

Check out what's on at the new www.broomfieldeventcenter.com

Don't miss "Too Hot To Handel" - the rousing contemporary version of the Messiah done by the Colorado Symphony and a huge Gospel Choir and soloists, at the Boettcher Concert Hall on Dec. 19 and 20, it sells out the huge hall of 2,600 seats! Go to www.coloradosymphony.org

The Denver Zoo is very special at that time, with the famous lights and the children's faces to go with them!

There will be much more, read (online) the Denver what's-on weekly newspaper www.westword.com

tom_creans_daughter Nov 19th, 2008 05:54 PM

The oversized bear at the Convention Center is called "I See What You Mean", whimsical!

Just a few blocks west at 14th & Curtis is a piece: "All Together Now" - ABC type blocks stacked along a bright yellow background.It's across from the DCPA ~ Jersey Boys is the show that week.

Previous years, a walk thru Larimer Square provided decorated store windows to browse.

tom_creans_daughter Nov 19th, 2008 05:55 PM

Wait for FMPDEN to reply - you'll get loads of ideas!

fmpden Nov 19th, 2008 06:21 PM

You all did very well !!!! Waiting to see what she would like to see and do. If she has been gone for quite awhile, the whole LODO development/expansion will be surprising.

Back2Sabi Nov 19th, 2008 06:25 PM

Don't know if they still having available bookings, but how about tea at the Brown Palace? Always a special thing to do in Denver during the Holidays!

I second a lot of the earlier suggestions, espeically the new art museum.

What part of town are you staying in? Will you have a car?

If you like shopping, Cherry Creek North is always quite charming before Christmas.

And if the weather is nice (it was nearly 70 degrees today) there are always plenty of walks and hikes to take. (If you do hit a warm day, and have a car, might I suggest the daytrip down to Garden of the Gods?) Also nice, weather permitting, Red Rocks. What do you like to do? If we knew that, we could probably give you even better ideas.

historytraveler Nov 19th, 2008 08:28 PM

Tea at the Brown Palace is already fully booked for the Christmas season.

historytraveler Nov 19th, 2008 08:34 PM

I meant to add that Boulder would be a good day trip, and if you are intersted in tea, the Dushanbe Tea House is offering a Christmas Tea. Far more intersting IMO than the Brown Palace.

heathernikki Nov 20th, 2008 04:31 AM

Well we are younger I suppose, mid 20's and early 30's. I've only been away for about 7 years but we go back every Christmas. My husband loves football, we will be going to the Broncos vs. Bills game. We enjoy good food, good wine and beer, music. I love the outdoors stuff but the last few years it's snowed or been quite cold so we haven't been able to do much of that. We aren't really into theater or much of the performing arts. Hope these are good ideas, I really appreciate all the quick responses!

heathernikki Nov 20th, 2008 04:33 AM

Oh and we will have a car most days but are also close to the light rail.

Kugellager Nov 20th, 2008 07:43 PM

You could also go out to Red Rocks Park near the foothills just south of Golden...and while near Golden you can take the Coors brewery tour and get your 3 free beverages at the end of the tour - The tour is self guiding now and lasts about an hour.

While in golden you can stroll the downtown area and check out the School of Mines mineral museum and the National Earthquake Information Center on the Mines campus - You'll need to book a tour there (Earthquake Center) at least a week in advance because they only do them once a week and on an appointment only basis. There is also Lookout Mountain and Buffalo Bills Grave in the hills above Golden.

];')

IanHayArthur Aug 4th, 2022 02:20 PM

Bounce Empire

I have lived near Denver my entire life, I would definitely recommend the natural history museum and the zoo, But if you are more active you cannot go wrong with Water world one of the biggest water parks in the world, or Bounce Empire the biggest inflatable park in the world in Lafayette.

Melnq8 Aug 4th, 2022 02:22 PM

IanHayArthur - I see that you're new here. Welcome! FYI - this post is from 2008!

fmpden Aug 4th, 2022 07:25 PM

How do you even find 15 year old posting to respond?????