Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Things to do around Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/things-to-do-around-cape-cod-433329/)

2travelbugs May 19th, 2004 09:15 AM

Things to do around Cape Cod

Hi,

We are planning to visit Cape Cod for the memorial day weekend and I had a few questions.
Can you do Whale watching at this time of the year ?
Since the water is going to be too cold what other activities can you do around Cape cod ?
We both like being outdoors and would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

bennnie May 19th, 2004 09:40 AM

You can go antiquing on Rt 6a. Walk along the beaches in Wellfleet. Bike riding on the rail trail or along the canal. Lots of golfing available. Check out Heritage Plantation in Sandwich.

Gene May 19th, 2004 06:10 PM

There are so many things to do on the Cape, it is impossible to list them all. For starters, this is Figawi Race weekend so all restaurants, bars, parks etc. in Hyannis are great places to watch the start and end of this great race in Hyannis Harbor.

There are fifteen towns on the Cape, each with several unique villages that are a joy to explore.

For history you can go to: Provincetown and the Pigrim Monument; the JFK museum and JFK memorial in Hyannis.

Form outdoor/scenic there is the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham, CC Museum of Natural History, Brewster and Longpoint Breakwater walk in Ptown.

I could go on & on but you only have a weekend. Yes the Whale-Watches will be running also.

2travelbugs May 20th, 2004 04:48 AM

We will be staying in North Truro near providence town.
What is the best time of day to do whale watching ? Is there anything you can do to prevent motion sickness ?

Gene May 20th, 2004 10:04 AM

Staying in North Truro, it's just a short hop to Provincetown center, where the Whale-Watch boats are.

I prefer the morning whale watch and then be back in Provincetown for lunch.

Bring some jackets it can get cool out on the ocean.

There is a current thread on this forum called Sea Sick with lots of suggestions to prevent motion sickness.

2travelbugs May 20th, 2004 10:32 AM

Gene, bennnie
Thank you for your replies.

I have another question about the beaches: I read somewhere that the beaches on the southern side are warmer than the rest of the cape, would that hold for this time of the year ? Should I pack my swimsuit ??
I read the post on sea sickness,since it is not a long trip,it looks like ginger chews might be the way to go.

Anonymous May 20th, 2004 12:23 PM

On Memorial Day weekend, the relative temps of the beaches is a moot point-- some will be too cold, and the rest will be much too cold.

travelisfun May 20th, 2004 01:17 PM

Just wanted to add...we spent Memorial Day weekend at the Cape a few years ago and went on a Whale Watching trip...we only saw one whale, though. It was nice just to be on the water, but don't expect a ton of activity.

Also, the water will be WAY too cold to swim in, but we enjoyed spending time just lounging on the beaches.

seafox May 23rd, 2004 04:24 AM

The boats are running on a limited schedule. Dress warmly. Even if it feels warm on land the cool water chills the air. Try the AM to se whales.