Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Thingorjus stops traffic in Niagara Falls (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/thingorjus-stops-traffic-in-niagara-falls-709418/)

marginal_margiela May 31st, 2007 08:01 AM

Thingorjus stops traffic in Niagara Falls

I am traveling to Niagara Falls with my husband, Keith, and my daughter, Jackie O on Saturday, June 2. We will be visiting my husbands family in Rochester, then on to the falls for one day.

Please, sweetie darlings, tell me where you would have lunch if you were as fabulous as moi. No Hard Rock Cafe, please. Places like that would not go with my Balenciaga sandals.

I would probably want a nice salad; the place has to have a BAR because I can't go two hours with out a gin cocktail.

As Linda Blair's stomach said to Father Damian: HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

starrsville May 31st, 2007 08:18 AM

I would go early to the river, cross over to Canada and drive the Niagara Parkway into the little town of Niagara on the Lake. Absolutely gorgeous - perfect for your fabulousness.

The Falls are far lovelier from the Canadian side and the parks are quite lucious.

Or, if you choose to eat lunch closer to the falls, go to NOTL later and have afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales hotel. You shall bring the entire town to a standstill.

marginal_margiela May 31st, 2007 08:45 AM

Thank you for your advice. My husband is like a small child. He will want to do tacky, juvenile things like purchasing Niagara Falls paperweights and eating cotton candy.

marginal_margiela May 31st, 2007 08:49 AM

Stars, how shall we dress for tea at the hotel?

starrsville May 31st, 2007 08:52 AM

Plenty of gift shops for all your tacky endeavors.

I am not worthy of the honor of recommending attire suggestions for the mm party. I am sure your inate fashion sense will serve you well.

I was dressed casually and was welcomed. Your party will very probably be worshipped as the fashion icons you are.

Mathieu May 31st, 2007 09:21 AM

ThinMargie,

I second the choice of NOTL - but then I'm Canadian so I would, wouldn't I ? :)

Patriotism aside, it is a beautiful little town with all levels of luxury that would do justice to your Balenciaga slippered feet. In addition to the Prince of Wales, theres the Oban Inn, and other small exclusive properties belonging to the same chain that are well worth a visit.

The town is known for the Shaw Festival which has just opened for the 2007 season, so you may even be able to see a show or three if that interests you.

Being in the Niagara wine growing heartland, there are a variety of wineries with onsite chi-chi restaurants serving good food. Too many to name here, but a search on the Canada board will pop up a few.

The obvious disadvantage of visiting in early June is that it's too early in the season and all the plants, flowers, vines and fruit trees that add to NOTL's beauty are still in early growth. But this will only ensure that you return in August or September. Whether or not you care to see a show, the Festival runs until November which keeps the place hopping, and October is a prime month to visit the wineries.

Enjoy.