There's snow in them thar hills !! Colorado that is

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right folks...we were up in the LaPlata's [just outside of Durango] on Monday and there is a nice dusting on some of the mountains! The air here has a nip in it at night and the days are sunny and the aspens are just starting to turn.

If you want a glorious fall getaway...come on over!

Debi
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Shoot! That was not supposed to be a link! It was not a plug for for that website...darn Fodor gremlins for seeing a link in my word! Sorry!!

Debi
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Deb, we leave next Friday for Yellowstone! Your thread has gotten me all fired up!!! Thanks!

We're still in the 90s here. Ugh!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM

BayouGal - you are home from the college trip!!

I am envious of your trip to Yellow Stone. You must post a trip report.

Colorado snow sounds great too!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM

You guys make me long for the day when my husband retires and we're no longer tied to vacations that coincide with his college schedule. We so want to see the leaves turning, Yellowstone and Yosemite in winter, and snow once in a while.

Like BayouGal we've still been in the 90s most days although today we've only hit the mid-80s so far. Supposedly a "cold" front is on its way. I'm so ready for cooler weather.

Debi, wish I could head for Colorado. I've only been once and that was for a family reunion/Christmas week near Breckinridge a few years ago. Bombed at skiing but had a blast snow tubing. I really want to do that again some time. I also would love to try snowshoeing. (Is that even a word?)

And BayouGal I envy you. We loved Yellowstone and plan to go back one day. I'm sure you'll get to cool off. When we were there (early August) we had frost on the windshield most mornings and they said it snowed in the higher elevations of Grand Teton NP. Have a great trip and please post a report when you return so those of stuck in our routines can get a vicarious fix.

Fran

Fr
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Yes, I have my notebook ready for notes and I will post a trip report, you can be sure!

Anne, you are a dear one. Thanks! I wanted to pick up the phone and tell you and Fran to come on and go with us!

Fran, wow, what a nice post! I haven't worked since Katrina (my choice mainly now) so this is a very unusual opportunity for us - I am a practicing nurse and nurse educator. Plus our youngest is off to college so we are now empty nesters (which after 3 days I am LOVING! LoL). And this is a first for us to travel in the fall, too.

I hope I can provide a great trip report for you - oh, the pressure! LoL
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM

BayouGal,

I've followed some of the posts about New Orleans and knew you had been in Katrina's path. I can relate to the people of N.O. and the rest of the Gulf Coast who met that "lady." I live on Pensacola Beach and our little island is still recovering from Ivan.

We were out of our house for a year and are still working to get it fully back to normal. But at least we can live in it again. Sometimes it seems like we aren't making any progress, then I look through the photos we took when they first let us come back out here and I realize how far we've come.

I think it's good that you can get away. We weren't able to during that first year because the week after Ivan hit I was diagnosed w/breast cancer and the better part of that year was devoted to surgery, chemo, and radiation. This past May was the first chance we had to get completely out of this area for a couple of weeks and I think it helped us to deal with the realities we still faced when we got back home. I guess you could say we recharged our batteries.

So now it's your turn to go recharge yours. And in such a gorgeous, unique place.

If you've never hiked from the parking lot at Uncle Tom's along the canyon rim to Artist Point, give it a go. It was fairly deserted in August, so you should have it to yourselves. Ask a ranger how to make it a loop so you don't have to backtrack. From Artist Point you go past this "dead" lake then some fumeroles and mud pots, then through an Alpine meadow before arriving back at the parking lot. (Sorry I can't be more specific, but half my stuff is still in boxes including the notebook I kept at Yellowstone.) When we were there it wasn't on the maps they gave out but any ranger should be able to tell you about it.

We also really enjoyed going to Norris Basin at dawn. Since it sits below the trail head, you look down on it. In the early morning chill you can't see the geysers for the fog/steam. Only hear them. It was so amazing because with no people talking, everything was totally quiet except for the sounds of the geysers. Then when you walk down into the basin you begin to see, as well as hear, but the mist is still swirling around. Giving you a peek, then hiding it all again. Quite surreal. (Gosh, I want to go back.)

But since I can't right now, you'll have to enjoy it for both of us.

Fran
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Hi Debit NM

I am the person who answered your Grand junction questions. Just wondered how that worked out for you. Find any good restaurants? How did you like the inn at Two Rivers?

Bye.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

BayouGal
Be prepared for cold weather.
We arrive Yellowstone on Monday Sept 11th and the weather prediction calls for a high of 54 and a low of 24 with possible snow on Sept 14.
It is now in the 80,s here in San Diego but I am taking a heavy jacket and thermals.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi GJLinda!
I posted a review on Fodors under the hotel link and also on tripadvisor.com. and a trip report on here We were disappointed with Two Rivers Chateau. It was nice but just not quite right for the price we paid. The breakfast was really poor. And the security [especially after my earlier post today] was sorely lacking.

We ate at Pantuso's first night. Service was awful and food only so-so. They did give us a 20% discount because it took so long for food to be served [I didn't even ask, they just offered it]. We also ate at Kannah Creek Brewing Co which was good; Rockslide Restaurant & Brewery which was very good; my favorite muffin for breakfast.

We had a nice time and I really liked Grand Junction.

Thanks for asking...
Debi
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Just came back from my Dad's near Cody.and it was glorius in teh day..high 70s and slight breeze..at night perfect sleeping temp of 44. And THE BUGS are all gone!!!
HAve a great time..I want to go back!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Just came back from my Dad's near Cody.and it was glorius in teh day..high 70s and slight breeze..at night perfect sleeping temp of 44. And THE BUGS are all gone!!!
HAve a great time..I want to go back!!!
Can't stand the big city anymore..
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks Fran, Don, and Jar! I am getting so excited! \/

It's as hot as h*ll here, so with cool temps and no bugs, I may not want to come home!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM

1JAR, it gets in your blood, doesn't it? Seeing the stars at night.
No traffic. easy living.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Okay, bbqboy, you are making it worse. LoL If only I could convince DH that the winters are just not that bad! ;-) I keep hearing about how bearable dry cold is, so I'm using that argument now. But my Louisiana Cajun husband isn't buying any of this so far - maybe this trip will sell him on the idea!