Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Theater District Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/theater-district-restaurants-613125/)

spiegelcjs May 4th, 2006 08:30 PM

Theater District Restaurants

Opps I put this on the wrong threat.
We are going to be in My from May 15 to 21 and already have tickets for two shows. We need restaurant suggestions for the theater distict in the $35. to $50 per person price range.

This thread seems pretty old so I am trying to get some updated informaton.

GoTravel May 5th, 2006 05:14 AM

What or where is My? Do you mean NYC?

If so, try Becco.

nytraveler May 5th, 2006 06:44 AM

Assume you mean NYC.

What cuisine(s)?

And does that amount include tax and tip? (Another recent poster insists that the prices given DO NOT include tax and tip - and this makes a 25% difference).

HowardR May 5th, 2006 07:37 AM

Besides additional price information, please let us know the type(s) of food you prefer. There are literally hundreds of restaurants in the area.

Gekko May 5th, 2006 07:39 AM

www.havanacentral.com

Great "Hemingway" atmosphere, and relatively new.

Suerich68 May 5th, 2006 07:50 AM

Not exactly in theater district, but well within your price range is "Nino's Tuscany" on W. 58th bet 6/7. Wonderful Italian food, under $50 pp.

spiegelcjs May 5th, 2006 10:25 PM

When I was on the site for NYC Restaurants I clicked on "post a new message" and it did not go on the site. Thanks to those who responded. No my pricing does not include tax and tip as this would be unreasonable in most cities and especially in NY.

HowardR May 6th, 2006 05:13 AM

You still haven't told us what type (s) of food you prefer to narrow down the recommendations. There are still those hundreds to choose from.

grantop May 6th, 2006 03:38 PM

If you choose Havanna Central, go to restaurant.com and purchas a gift certifcate that will give you $25 off your bill. Enter the code 54319 and a $25 certificate will only cost you $7.50. The restaurant was very good but it has slid a little - but if you use the certifcate you won't over pay for "ok". Have fun and enjoy NYC

spiegelcjs May 6th, 2006 10:53 PM

We like all kinds of food. We will however be traveling with my brother who needs to watch his salt intake so we should eliminate all oriental food. That leaves Greek , Italian, French, Americn, Indian etc. etc.

wantsomesun May 6th, 2006 11:30 PM

You might try Cafe 1, 2, 3 on W 43rd St. Good food and fun atmosphere.

HowardR May 7th, 2006 05:09 AM

With a price range of $35-$50, not including tax and tip, you can do a lot better than Becco and Cafe Un Deux Trois. A few theater district suggestions:
French--Chez Josephine (42nd St.), Le Madeleine (43rd St.), Rene Pujol (51st St.)
Italian--Lattanzi (46th St.), Orso (46th St.), Remi (53rd St.)
Seafood--Redeye Grill (56th St.)

escargot May 7th, 2006 11:06 AM

We sometimes eat at Osteria al Doge on 142 W 44th between Broadway and 6th, convenient for theater.

www.osteria-doge.com

you can check out menu for your family and prices. Sit in the balcony if you can, less noisy.

We recently ate at Brasserie LCB on 60 W. 55th (bet 5&6). and I had exc filet mignonettes and hubby a marvelous beef wellington.

iamq May 7th, 2006 01:02 PM

Agree with Howard on Le Madeleine. We ate there last month before the theater and it was fantastic. Great service, delicious food, reasonable prices and a very friendly and pleasant atmosphere.

-Bill

grantop May 7th, 2006 01:09 PM

And if you do choose Le Madeleine, make reservations for the garden room - it's a great setting!

Margo_Chester May 7th, 2006 05:36 PM

Agree - with a budget of $35-$50 per person I wouldn't fool around with Havanna Central or Becco. I would also suggest Chez Josephine or Le Madeleine, and which ever you choose be sure to make reservations soon.

escargot May 7th, 2006 06:31 PM

Whichever restaurant you choose, (Le Madeline, etc) many of them are on www.opentable.com and you can check there for reservations and book them via that website and save yourself phone calling everywhere.

spiegelcjs May 22nd, 2006 10:20 PM

Thanks to all of your for your suggestions. We just returned and had a great time. We had dinner at Le Madeline prior to the theater and it was wonderful. For all of you theater goers try to see The Drowsey Chaperone while you are there. It is a sleeper and just was nominated for a Tony award. We also saw Spamalot which was excellent, but better if you are a Monty Python fan which we are not. We also saw Light in the Piazza which won a Tony last year. I liked it but my husband did not. Tired to get tickets for Jersey Boys but $250.00 each was out of our range. If you plan ahead you can get tickets at the normal price.

grantop May 24th, 2006 11:42 AM

So glad you had an enjoyable meal, did you eat in the garden room? Chaperone was nominated for 13 tony awards - you chose well!