Search

The world's most beautiful Chinese restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The world's most beautiful Chinese restaurant

Hi everyone!

My brother--whom many of you know as PakePorkChop--just posted his latest online column. If you've accessed his column before, you know that he writes about food in Hawaii (primarily Honolulu). Just wanted to show you his latest foodie editorial, and invite you to post comments.

http://www.hawaii.rr.com/_vti_bin/sh...bcritworld.htm
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM

why, ppc??!

i've been enjoying ur delightful combination of fluid prose and historical research for mouth-watering glimpses into our city, then and now. pls pls continue ur food descriptions on this forum at least (u know, t'sui and all that stuff). will also post comment on rr site.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:37 AM

just rechecked and realized my presbyopic eyes misread melissa's msg. thot this was ppc's LAST column. whew.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Melissa have you eaten here. Why has no one mentioned this place before. No idea pakepokchop was your brother.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Mari, Sarah: Don't forget to post feedback on his article! He was really salty about some other columnist getting more feedback about her article on nose hair. I had no idea he was so competitive.

Sarah--I think one of the threads (was it loco moco?) revealed that PakePorkChop is my brother. If you read thru one of his past columns at hawaii.rr.com you will also see my photo, and then hopefully you will say, "aaaah, they don't look like each other at all."

I ate at Lau Yee Chai a long time ago, probably when I was still in high school. I don't normally venture in to Waikiki just to eat Chinese food, though....especially since I live closer to Chinatown.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:43 PM

Great article. Liked his kamado pot article too, I've had one for 25 yrs.
Will be staying close that place so the restaurant is on the list for the trip thanks. Paul
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Melissa,

This is off the subject, but how do you bold text?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:37 AM
jor

Forget the bold text. I want to know if this is thread used to advertise a restaurant.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

jor, no....I was using the thread to pump up my brother. If you notice on the board, I talk about whatever his most recent column is at the moment (if relavent). If you see my second post here you'll see my reason for posting.

As for bold text: at the bottom of your keyboard there is a comma and a period. Shift, then type "<" with a b and then shift, type ">" in front of the text you want bolded. Then when you want to close the bold, type the < again with /b inside and close it with a >. I'm not too good at teaching HTML so I hope that helped.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM

JOR how can anyone talk about where to go and what to eat if they don't actually mention names, articles, reviews? If you have been on this sight more than 10minutes you would see that Melissa is very balanced in what she says about Hawaii. She also dedicates a lot of time to responses here. Oh Well do and archive search. But yeah it is not about under cover advertising in this instance.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM
norrisely

Well, tell me about Maui, for goodness sake.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM

If you read the articles, you will see that there is extensive discussion about the development of Hawaii Regional Cuisine and restaurants are mentioned within the context of that historical exploration.

This particular restaurant is significant because of its place in the culinary timeline, but more so because of the major restaurateurs that are a part of its past.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM

PPP I don't know how that restaurant survives thieves with that artwork? I would be curious to know how that piece ranks with other pieces inside the Academy of art.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:12 PM

The Waikiki Lau Yee Chai is on the fifth floor of the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, near the heart of Waikiki. Security personnel roam the facility and report to a central office. Most of the art pieces in the restaurant are big and heavy. I would guess that anyone hoisting a piece out of the restaurant would hardly get to the parking garage attendant before security blocked egress. If you've ever driven Waikiki, you know that driving out of the resort area at a brisk pace would be difficult.

As for the priceless "Utopia", it is among the world's largest and most beautiful oil paintings done on canvas.
It is 41 feet long by 12 feet high and covers the entire west wall of the restaurant. Painted at the height of World War II when regular art canvas was scarce, it was rendered instead on sections of heavy battleship canvas which were sewn together. That piece won't be going anywhere soon.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:31 PM

funny ppp. I guess I misunderstood I expected that restaurant to be on its own somewhere in Chinatown. So cool you gotta keep mentioning that here, I had no idea.