Reload this Page >

The World is My Oyster -Running Away :-) from Home at 50

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Author: angelnot1
Date: 12/09/2003, 07:00 am
I am about to turn 50. After taking the whole family on a round-the-world trip in 2002 it is my turn do do my thing !!!

So....instead of a big 50th birthday party I requested that my husband and children use their frequent flyer points and cash to fund a trip for me from Sydney to Europe and the States and wherever I choose (except South America -too humid).

I want to do several things:

hear a great opera-London? Milan?

eat wonderful food and drink magic wine--France? italy?

taste the exotic--Casablanca? Egypt?

and any other terrific things to do and experiences to experience....

Having read the wonderful traveller tales on this site I would love your suggestions about places to see, hotels to stay at, restaurants to eat at, music to hear, sights to seeand help in designing my "taking break from home at 50'" itinerary.

As a guide >>> the world is my oyster so anything goes...I plan on 3 months

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM
LN

I'm envious already. But after seeing some of Australia and New Zealand I'd put these on my list for the states.

New York City (of course) and stay at the Plaza

Washington DC probably the Mayflower

Montreal Canada

The Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce

San Francisco (tour the wine country Napa or Sonoma, Sausalito, and Muir Woods

Chicago

Mexico City

Hope this helps - meantime I'll have to try to control myself and not run away too!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that--avidly checking out sites of the places and hotels you mentioned.

BTW - I have the lovliest family and now it is my turn --hence running away from home (usuly reserved for teens)
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 03:58 AM

Three months away from your husband and children? Gee how will it feel to experience a great opera, the best cuisine, the finest museums, without your loved one(s) there to turn and share this with? Are you sure you want to be ALONE as your celebration?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely--as I mentioned we as a family travelled on a round the world ticket in 2002 and while I love sharing with my loved ones, sometimes i want to do things by myself and this is such an occasion.

The post re Prozac--why on earth would I want to do that?? I am having too much fun looking at all sorts of options--of course later I will have to narrow my choices but now I am happy to explore.

It is amazing how some comments spark off ideas and memories--eg the American doctor reminds me of the time when my parents(also doctors)were on a posting in Ibadan, nigeria and how I and my 2 sisters adapted to a new culture
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:41 AM

I suspect this message is either partially falsehood or just plain trolling.

Anyone who has already been "around the world" would know better than to make comments like some of the above.

And your family could "cash in" all the points and miles they want to and it's not going to pay for 3 months abroad sampling the world's best food and hotels.

And anyone who has been around the world would know it's ridiculous to state "South America is too humid". SA has some of the driest highland deserts in the world.

If this is a real question I challenge you to post some thing with more substance.
If not, try a better troll post.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Ouuuch -my bubble of excitement has been pricked -if i let it!!

Note I said "round the world TICKET" not round the world trip!!!

We did visit my family scattered around the globe ie. Singapore, Poland, Ireland, California as well as taking in Rome, Vienna and Fiji on the way home.

You know if you were planning a big trip of your dreams I would rejoice for you (and be a bit envious so why put me down???

I dont even know what trolling is...