Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Westin Mission Hills Resort-Rancho Mirage...Timeshare ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an "invitation" from The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas in Rancho Mirage, CA today. It's a 4 night pkg for $379, the invitation is connected with my American Express card. It was addressed to Mr. & Mrs. (my last name), but I'm not married & the invite requests that you be married or have a life partner & that your combined income be $75,000 & that you own your own home. Out of those requirements, I only have a long time boyfriend...anyway, it's a timeshare program where you are asked to attend a 90 minute presentation...etc.
Well...if I book, what happens if they find out that I don't make $75,000 & I don't own a home. This looks like a great deal, as rooms normally would be in the $300 range per night, instead of $95, which is what the offer is for. If anyone has had experience with these timeshare offers, please let me know how thorough they are in checking you out!..Thanks
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Sorry I have no experience on the time share but I am planning a stay at this property and would love to hear comments or suggestions from anyone who was there recently.

Honestly I do not think they check on that, call them up..and ask..without giving your name of course...see what they say...

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Having done "timeshare" deals many times, here's a little advice:

1. They never ask for proof of income/home ownership. They might ask. If you don't qualify, you must LIE. If you have a moral/ethical issue with lying in this instance, then don't go. Book it on your own.

2. Is it the villas or the hotel you'll be staying in? The reason I ask is that I was just solicited for a three night stay for $199. This is for the hotel.

3. The hotel is nice, but not a FS or RC level. However, at under $100 night, especially if you get it during peak season (Jan-Apr), it's a great deal.

4. When you take the tour, make sure to tell the salesperson immediately that you have NO intention of buying. You are only there for the "deal" on the room. By doing this, 90% of the time I'm out of the presentation within 15 minutes.

Enjoy.

Coachboy

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. The invitation doesn't specify if you will be staying in the hotel or the villa...it states, "Four Nights Accommodations at The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas in one of our spacious guest rooms complete with a private patio."
Plus you get a $50 resort certificate & 5,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Point from American Express. Guess I should look into it.