Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Villages, Florida (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-villages-florida-1082580/)

LBloom Dec 31st, 2015 09:06 AM

The Villages, Florida

Visiting my mother in South Florida. She wants to go check out The Villages for day trip. We dont know anyone there, Other than driving through the development, is there anything to do there? Shopping, restaurant, cultural activites, etc? We are just west of Ft Lauderdale in Tamarac, anyone know how long a drive? Worthwhile visiting? Thanks!

sf7307 Dec 31st, 2015 09:21 AM

I can tell you a very funny story about the Villages. One of my DH's cousins lives there and we went for a cousins reunion. We went into "town" (one of the towns within the Villages) for lunch. There were a bunch of buildings with plaques on them, and the plaques had long descriptions about the history of the buildings. It turned out they were all fake! Totally made up.

gmoney Dec 31st, 2015 09:42 AM

I live near the Villages and the running rumor is that they have one of the highest incidents of venereal disease per capita in the whole country.

LBloom Dec 31st, 2015 09:45 AM

I checked out their web site. Its about 4 hours from us and it all seems "manufactured". Cant figure out the attraction as tourisr site. Is there anything to do there from tourist perspective? She has friends who went, she really wants me to take here there. Thanks!

Orlando_Vic Dec 31st, 2015 09:54 AM

"is there anything to do there?"

Yeah, retail politics of the hard right variety (i.e. Tea Party).

MarthaT Dec 31st, 2015 10:22 AM

It's mainly a senior residential area. They get places by golf carts such as the supermarket etc. I would not drive one hour to get there let alone 4 hours!

schmerl Dec 31st, 2015 10:43 AM

It is a retirement community and you are right....it is totally manufactured. It is a self contained "city" for seniors. It is not a tourist site.

gmoney Dec 31st, 2015 10:52 AM

About the only thing to do there is play golf and.......well see my previous comment about VD.

vjpblovesitaly Dec 31st, 2015 11:39 AM

Like gmoney, whenever I read "the villages" I first think of STDs or STIs or whatever they call them these days.

Hobbert Dec 31st, 2015 12:28 PM

My parents live nearby and Mom and I went down to check it out when they were thinking of retiring. If your mom is considering the same, go for it. But it's not a day trip type place. It's literally a manufactured village. For older folks who don't care to drive any more, it's great. Everything is right there and you can get around by golf cart- and many do! Mom felt it was a bit "Pleasantville" and they ended up in the Summerfield/Ocala area instead. If I recall correctly, you can rent a couple nights stay in a house in The Villages, so that might be a neat option for your mom if she's considering a move.

There are restaurants and a little shopping area (and stores that sell a LOT of dog gear) so it's not a bad way to spend a day but it's very superficial, in my opinion.

Dukey1 Dec 31st, 2015 12:35 PM

The driving distance, uskng the turnpike, from Tamarac is 255 miles. All of the above are apparently true to include the hard right politics.
Frankly, you'd be a hell of a log better off if you drove over to my house on Fort Lauderdale Beach and we could take you both out to lunch.
Unfortunately, I am in Sydney at the moment but ask Gmoney to host you up in "cenral Florida" with his newly-revived tropicl plants.

basingstoke2 Dec 31st, 2015 01:10 PM

A few years ago we visited DW's cousins who moved there 2 years previously from St. Pete. To put it briefly, they love it. However, much of what is written above is true. It a town, made up of a group of "villages." A completely manufactured place for seniors., from what we saw most are in single family homes.

Having said that, it is well kept up with golf courses, pools, village centers and restaurants of all kinds. I looked at the activities newsletter and there are loads of activities for those attracted to those things including "pickle ball "leagues (whatever that is), clubs for about every interest. There is even a band for seniors and perhaps a community orchestra.

It took us about 4 hours to drive from Pembroke Pines and looking at the map, the nearest beach is 45 minutes to 1 hour away. Why anyone would move to FL and not be near the beach is beyond me, but that is another issue. We also noticed that other than Villages and the areas between them, there is nothing of interest around for miles.

LBloom Dec 31st, 2015 09:44 PM

Dukey, doesnt sound like I want to visit the Villages, You would have to meet my mom to understand how NOT her style this would be. Dont think she understands the culture vibe I am getting. Mom is 87, a Holocaust survivor, very Jewish, no golf, no tennis (she is 87). She couldnt live without Sawgrass, Mills,The Town Center, The Festival flea market on Sample Rd. Very pro choicr, liberal Democrat, pro BLM & civil rights. No. She wouldnt like a bunch of Tea Partiers. Altho, she is a radical organizer and would be arranging pickets at Trump, Cruz, Bush, and Rubio rallies.

I would like to disciss a GTG near Ft. Lauderdale in late April if you are interested. I will be back for a week around Passover, let me know if you are interested.

vincenzo32951 Jan 1st, 2016 05:11 AM

I read the OP and then read it again, because I was sure I misunderstood that someone was considering a day trip to the Villages.

Gretchen Jan 1st, 2016 06:21 AM

The Villages is NOT a retirement community, per se. It is a planned adult (NO children) community for over 55. There are a number around the country and others like it--Sun City, etc. A LOT of people like them.
Whether the politics would be all permeating is questionable, but the amenities offered are considerable--Disneylike or not.
Probably not the place for any 80+ year old who should also be looking for "continuing care" in the community they are considering.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...p_history.html

garyt22 Jan 1st, 2016 07:35 AM

Have you done the Florida holocaust museums and memorials?

LBloom Jan 1st, 2016 08:59 AM

Gary, yes, yes, My mother was president of the Kings Point/Broward County Holocaust survivors group for about 10 years until fairly recently. She in on the board of Jewish Family Services and lives in Tamarac Kings Point for about 15 years.

KP is a planned community as well with about 5000 members in their HOA. She is not looking to move, she was interested in the Villages for something to do.

vincenzo32951 Jan 1st, 2016 09:54 AM

>>The Villages is NOT a retirement community, per se.<<

I'm trying to figure out exactly what "per se" means in this context, because if you don't consider the Villages -- average age 66 -- a retirement community, then I'd like to know what **is** a retirement community.

schmerl Jan 1st, 2016 02:47 PM

I consider it a retirement community. I doubt many people living there are still working unless they are employed by the community.
I agree it is NOT a continuous care community, but that doesn't mean it is not a retirement community.

sf7307 Jan 1st, 2016 03:13 PM

LBloom, more on the politics....our cousin who lives there is an active Democrat, and she told us when she first moved there, the few Democrats had to "meet behind the bushes at midnight" LOL!