Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Victorian on Lytton - Palo Alto, Ca.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Cathie

Anyone know anything about this B&B? Looks lovely on their website. Some family members will be heading out there in a couple weeks so told them I would inquire on Fodors.
Thanks.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:42 AM
kam

Palo Alto is home for me. The Victorian on Lytton is a block away from Palo Alto, a good university town with bookstores, small restaurants and shops. Good walking, and one can walk over to Stanford's campus from there. I have never been inside though. I can recommend two others that we stayed in when moving up here. The Garden Court is a very upscale small hotel with valet parking and Il Fornaio restaurant on the first floor--lovely patio and good Italian food. Beautiful rooms, some with balconeys and fireplaces. The other is a B&B, the Cowper Inn. It's an old craftsmen house with a parlor and antiques in the rooms. It's about 2 blocks from downtown. You can see it a www.cowperinn.com Caveat--all these places book quite ahead because they are preferred over the other motel/hotel type accomodations in Palo Alto. Lots of choices because of Stanford events and the Silicon Valley. If they like to shop, they'll love the very posh Stanford Shopping Center! Any more questions, just post. Enjoy Palo Alto!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Cathie

Thanks so much, Kam - I will pass on all the info...appreciate your help.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Cathie

Do you know anything about a place called Campo di Bocce of Los Gatos: a restaurent that has Italian food and you can play Bocce Ball? Suppose to be close to where I was inquiring about I think. Thanks again.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:51 PM
kam

Look at www.campodibocce.com Los Gatos is another small town on the Peninsula. It's about a half hour's drive from Palo Alto south and a little west. What is confusing you is that both towns' main streets are named University. It's not the same street though. You'd need to have a car to get to Los Gatos but it's a pretty little town with shopping and little restaurants. Haven't eaten at Campo di Bocce but it sounds neat.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:53 PM
rheianne

Cathie,

I've been there before. The restaurant itself is housed in a large building. There are a few bocce ball courts inside and the rest are outside. They serve italian food, family style. Big plates of food, hearty dishes. It's not the best food in the world, but decent in my opinion. The restaurant is best suited for large get togethers, birthdays, etc.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:53 PM
xxx

Go watch the bocce ball in Los Gatos and then eat at the restaurant named Tapestry. No, I don't own it, nor do I work there. Sure do love to eat there, though.