The Unexpected Trip of a Lifetime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my, if the RED SOX win tonight, I will have died and gone to heaven!

Eight in a row, a record that the Yankees will never touch
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:57 AM

26 World Series titles, a record that the Red Sox will never touch.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:04 AM

"Unexpected Trip of a Lifetime"

Interesting way to phrase that.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM

tracy2cents - you are cracking me up. I love your titles. But We've only just begun to win. Once we get over the hurdle of this WS I have a feeling no one is going to be satisfied iwth just one. Just like the Pats!

Hang in there Sox. We don't need a sweep but it sure would be nice.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Many Bostonians are also hoping for a win on Tuesday. Now, THAT would be a sweep!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:22 AM

GO SOX!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Wonder how many of you "Sox fans" think that Tony C is a Sopranos character.

Let the "front-running" begin.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan. Don't you know that it's considered blasphemy for a Yankee fan to conjure up the hallowed name of Tony Conigliaro?

You don't hear us going on about Charlie Silvera.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Ryan - Why do you bring up Tony Conigliaro? Do you measure a fan's dedication by their ability to rattle off the name of every past player, their batting average and their shoe size? The size of their heart is what matters. I've watched nearly every Red Sox game for years. I can't remember half the players that have been on the Sox in that time. But no one who knows me doubts that I'm a fan.

Tony C, El Tiante, Booma, Boggsie, Dewie, Jim Ed, Freddie Lynn, Spaceman, Yaz, even Roger - lots of fans remember them well, lots don't. But we all are members of Red Sox Nation.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:05 AM

If Tony C's name is hallowed in New England, it is only because of how hollow most of the history.

In terms of Silvera, I have no idea who he is. I have no intention of finding out who he is. I can assume he's some obscure player from the Yankees from long ago.

I will be the first to admit that the average Sox fan (the real fans, and not the "Hey, I've been a LIFELONG Sox fan and still can't forgive baseball for pushing OUR Shoeless Joe out of baseball!") knows more about their team history then the average Yankee fan. Given the relative histories, it's much easier remembering a 1967 or 1975, then remembering 39 pennant winning years.

Had Red Rolfe, Bob Meusal, or Bill Dickey played in Boston, they'd still be talked about with reverence. The problem is when you can field almost two full teams of HOF players, some great players get lost in the mix.

BTW, the initial shock has worn off. As bad as this loss in the ALCS was, I think it helps Yankee fans in the long run. We can now empathize with the fans of other teams who ALL have those moments that make them cringe. We'll get rid of the "front-runner" fans. (You're welcome to them.)

I mean it was inevitable that the Sox would win eventually. Mathematical probablity would have told you that. I mean, had it not been for decades of complete and abject incompetence, this curse stuff would have died long-ago. The fact that it's taken this long is midn-boggling.

If anything, you people should be thanking the Yankees for all the bad they've done to you since 1918. If it wasn't for the Sox playing the Washington Generals for us, your team wouldn't be viewed with this mythological aura. I mean, you don't hear much about the Phillies, do you?

Their history is almost as bad as the Sox. The only difference is that they don't play in a nice old park and they had multiple, and not one team, knocking them down.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Bennie,
A true Sox fan should savor this victory. Some Johnny-come-lately-Pesky is nothing more then a fan who is bound to abandon you when the next big loss comes around. As a sportsfan, we should ALL mock these people.

In terms of the Sox view of the Yankees and their fans, I'm being polite because I realize it'll take a few years for Sox fans to get over the decades long-inferiority complex that developed because of the Sox history versus the Yankees. Sure you won the one series and in spectacular fashion. Changing DNA-level behavior will be a little different.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:32 AM

DNA-level behavior? That's a good one. It would be sweet to get eight in a row. That would be hard for anyone to match. Ok, the Red Sox will not have won only one World Series. It will be number six. It just so happens the other five came a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but they count. We have a ways to go to catch up, but six would put us only behind the Cardinals and Yankees. The Sox have set many marks during this series that will be talked about for a while; not to mention the historically great individual performances by Schilling and Ortiz.

Out of respect for the Cards though, I don't want to brag until this thing is over.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM

There are also lots of other teams that haven't won in a long, long time. Everyone talks about the Cubs, but how about the White Sox, Milwaukee (Brewers have never won; M. Braves won about 50 years ago), Cleveland, Giants. Several newer teams have never won - Houston, Seattle, Montreal, San Diego, Texas.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Sorry to break the news to you Dan, but the Sox won't be number 3. If they win, you move into a tie with the Dodgers for 5th with 6 each.

Yanks, you knew that. Cards and A's 9 each. Giants 7.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last World Series for the sox: 1918

Last Pennant Win 18 Years ago

Johnny Damon # 18

Foulke the Closer #29 (2 x 9 = 18)

David Ortiz born on the 18th

Doug Mirabelli born on the 18th

Dave Roberts 05/31/72 5+3+1+7+2 = 18

Pedro's stats last night 7 -3- 2 - 6

Last night Runs (5) + Hits (13) = 18

TONIGHT!!! is the 18th game that the Red Sox play this month!

THE FAT LADY WILL SING!
(there are 18 letters in that statment!)
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM

You really need a life. (18 letters)
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM
gc

Geeze Clark, that's a stretch, dontcha think?

Hey Ryan, what was Tony C's batting average in the '67 series? And what was the title of the 45 record he cut?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Answer: Not enough to win and "Wait till next year"?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:15 AM
gc

You gotta do better than that.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:24 AM

How about I really don't care because I'm a Yankees fan. Is that a better answer.

Here's I know about Tony C. He was a local guy. His numbers were ok but turned into mythical proportion because he was a local guy, he got hit in the eye, he was never the same and the assumption is he'd been better then Yaz because he was a local guy.

The Yankee equivalent is Joe Pepitone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -