Reload this Page >

Nothern Michigan Advice for October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
iceeu2

Last spring, 2004, we had a wonderful vacation in northern Michigan.

This time we are headed up in the middle of October to do some salmon fishing.

We will fish in Manistee and then head to Boyne Falls for the remainder of the week?

Will the leaves have all changed by then? How about the new place Avalanche something or other...will it be iced over for skating by then? Mackinac Island, should we go over one day or no?

I'm guessing we should take sweatshirts, right?

Last trip SuzieTrue, Keith and Maggi were all lots of help and provided me with many links and websites.

Asking for your help again, please.

I know it will probably be cold, but the real icee put up with me for 2 glorious weeks on Kauai in May, so I know I can put up with him for a week in this beautiful spot!

Thanks.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweatshirts and more. My guess would be that you will see weather in the 60s, but there is also good chance you will encounter frost. You might even see a few snowflakes in the air.

There usually isn't a lot of rain in October, but several windy days in a row is common.

The fall colors change at different times each year. Here is a site that will tell you what is was like last year: http://www.ring.com/travel/color.htm

Do you like trains? You will probably be a week - 10 days too late, but if it happens to be a late fall, http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/...our/index.html is spectacular.

After the 2nd weekend in October, there will be much less open on Mackinac Island. For example, the Fort closes on the 9th.

The Grand Hotel will be open through the month and carriage tours will be running until the 22nd. A few of the other businesses will be open, though many of them may only be open on the weekend and probably only lmited hours. The gift shops that are still open may be running sales.

Looking forward to what SuzieTrue, Maggi others have to say. I may be up there about the same time. I am trying to hold of on scheduling to make my visit coincide with the new USGC Mackinaw's arrival at Cheboygan this fall.

Keith
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:10 PM
JJ5

Bring a coat and gloves.

It might be cold and it may rain, so have some poncho/raincoat gear available. The trees will be prime or just past. You may see some fantastic color, and most probably the sun will give you some dazzling bouquet days. BUT do bring BRIGHT colored wardrobe as well as being warm and protective, because hunting season will be in evidence.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM

iceeu2,

DD and I will be headed up to Houghton at the far western end of the UP Oct. 7-10. The colors can range from brilliant to gone at that time. Definitely plan for layers, including hat and gloves. A good place to see colors after other places are past peak is in the Leelanau penisula. The lake slows down the change in the area.

Remember to pick up some apples while in the "fruit belt" area. You may also get in on some late grape picking at the wineries.

SuzieTrue
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
iceeu2

Thanks all, knew I could count on my fodor's friends...we are really looking forward to this vacation.

SuzieTrue, the real icee really does want to drive far up into the UP this vacation. We were talking that if we get there and run out of time that we may just stay overnight. Recommend anything? It would be just to sleep for the night since we do have the timeshare in Boyne Falls for the entire week.

Also, what about food?...there were some regional specialties I missed last time there and don't want that to happen again!

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM

A few years back we were in the UP and on Mackinac Island during the 2-3rd week in October. The colors were GORGEOUS! but, it was COLD. I had to buy a winter coat. It may have been a freak thing but be prepared. We stayed on the Island 2 night were it was the coldest and I wore the coat both days, especially when we rented bikes. The Fort was closed as were some of the restaurants and the others had limited menus of whatever was left but we really enjoyed it. It was like having the place to yourself.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM

iceeu2,

Your best bets for the UP are St. Ignace or Sault Ste. Marie. From either of these towns you can head over to Whitefish Point. They have the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum. You might even luck out with some bird/waterfowl migration that time of year. Don't plan on 4star accomadations, but you will find most popular chains.

If you haven't tried a pastie yet, then Mackinaw City is the place to go. Our favorite place to get them is called Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Co. It is at exit 339 off I-75. The original with gravy is our favorite.

On a side note, I jealous of your 2 week stay on Kauai. The longest we've stayed is a week. It is DH favorite island.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM
iceeu2

If we go over to Mackinac Island one day will the Grand still be open and serving lunch? I have looked at their website, but cannot find all the info I am looking for. Also, do you have to dress for lunch there? It looks pretty snooty to me. I like snooty once in a while!!

What about Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? Do we want to drive that far over?

We did make it up to Sault Ste. Marie last time and to the locks, but not up to Whitefish Pt and those falls that are on the way there.

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Pictured Rocks is a little bit of a drive from the bridge. Munising is about three hours depending on traffic and roads you take. Munising is where the main visitor center is located, as well as being near some easy hikes. Not sure if any of the boat tours will still be in operation then.

Having lunch at the Grand Hotel is not as dressy as dinner. I think the Grand is open until the end of October. I'll check my sources.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM
iceeu2

Thanks, Suz...we did have a pastie last time up...yum yum yum.

I think maybe we should have some smoked fish dip? Or is that summertime fare?

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Many places have smoked fish year round, so the dip is always available as well.

Concerning Grand Hotel, I found a site that mentioned end of October for closing of the Grand.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Iceeu2,I'm thrilled you are coming back to Michigan. The UP is such a treasure. Have you been to Tahquamenon Falls Park? I love exploring this area.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/aaa.html
http://www.superiorsights.com/tahqfallsbrew/
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/oswald/bear.html

Ever sleep in a lighthouse?
http://jacobsvillelighthouse.com/

Here is a really good article to give you an idea of what you will see if you go:
http://hotels.camvista.com/news/news...le_in_885.html

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you." (our motto)

Regards, Maggi
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM

While in Manistee drive up to Onekama for the Blue Slipper Bistro, a well known local place for great casual food. On your way to Boyne stop in Traverse City at Le Amical for lunch or The Omelette shop for a late breakfast then in Boyne head over to BAy Harbor near Petosky to check out this posh new development and have dinner at Latitudes one of the best places up there. I'd blow Mackinaw off that time of year. Actually any time of year unless you like crowds,t-shirt shops and fudge. In October your in for a hell of a boat ride over there and most things will be closed, or almost out of food anyway.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:50 AM
JJ5

artman and others,

Thanks from me also!

I get up there about every other year and thanks for some more tips. So MUCH to see that is beautiful that it's hard for me to apportion time in your area.

artman, I totally agree with you and that's what we have done the last few trips.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I have lived in Petoskey 10 years, and guage Octobers by how early I put my bicycle in storage! I remember some really cold, crappy Octobers that seemed to rain incessantly...and just a few years ago, remember 70 degree days in November! The shoulder seasons up north can be so variable its hard to predict what it will be! I would say generally speaking, peak colors are usually the first week of October, but again, moisture and temps can swing that either way. Just being out on my bike last night, I am seeing several trees starting to change!

From everyone I know who has been to the new waterpark at Boyne Mountain, it is a big hit! There is however, a huge conference there October 21-23, so I would check room availability or going during the week. The ice will not be ready unless they help it along artificially!