Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   The Road to Hana (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/the-road-to-hana-441937/)

deborahanne Sep 29th, 2008 04:26 PM

The Road to Hana

Is it doable for a day trip? We will be staying at the Four Seasons and would like to drive there for the day. Also is the sunrise at the National Park worth doing? Can you drive to the top? Any suggestions would be helpful. going from Oct 18th to the 25th.

garyt22 Sep 29th, 2008 05:16 PM

Just type Road to Hana in the search box above and you will see hundreds of posts for and against your quest... good luck

emcash Sep 29th, 2008 05:47 PM

I think it's often intended in a day trip . we stayed at the FS for our honeymoon and did the road to hana one day, but truth be told we didn't go the whole way- but most of it.

gyppielou Sep 29th, 2008 06:24 PM

Lucky you! We loved the 4S. Get up early and stake you place at the pool or cabanas. Be sure to politely mark your leave by removing towels, or folding your lounge chair.

Inquire about the hula show. It is one of the best I have seen.

Road to Hana: Go deep. Head out early and drive thru to seven pools or beyond. Then slowly make your way back. Consider breakfast at Hotel Hana - the fish egss benedict was delightful. Enjoy Red Sands Beach and the area, while most tourists are just arriving. Then head back before the other daytrippers.

How blessed are you?

Good for you!!!!

sylvia3 Sep 30th, 2008 05:26 AM

Remember to check if the road past Owyhee (sacred pools) Gulch is open; I heard it was still closed.
BTW: do the sunset at Haleakala, after checking out the crater. Watch the clouds and colors, stay for the stars. IMO, sunrise is absolutely not "worth it."

redzin Sep 30th, 2008 07:23 AM

Went to Maui for the first time earlier this month. We did the road to hana as a day trip and only made it to black sand beach. (not kidding about 600+ turns!) We will return next year and actually stay near the seven sacred pools since we were unable to see.

The scenery is gorgeous and lots of stops along on the way...enjoy!

volcanogirl Sep 30th, 2008 09:16 AM

We did the road to Hana in a day; we left early and got back about 9:00p.m. We thought the sunrise at Haleakala was beautiful. It was one of my husband's favorite things, and we got great pictures. If you do it, dress very warmly, bring hot chocolate or coffee with you - there was ice on the ground when we were there, and it was quite cold. Our guidebook said that no matter how many clothes you have on it won't be enough, and we were laughing at that, but it was true!

lakeside77 Sep 30th, 2008 09:54 AM

We'll be there about a week after you. I've done the Road to Hana before in one day. Left at about 7:00 in the morning, and stopped at a few of the stops along the way and took our time driving it. We did the hike to Waimoku Falls and headed back. We were back by about 7:00 that evening. Definitely possible. We're debating the same things for Haleakala - never done it before.

Cerlaurie Sep 30th, 2008 01:09 PM

We have been to Maui twice. The first time we did the Road to Hana in a day and it was nice. However, it was dry that visit and the waterfalls were not flowing very much. We also drove all the way around after the 7 pools. I know the car rental companies say not to do this but several people told us it was doable. The second time we decided to drive and stay a couple of nights at Hotel Hana. The hotel was beautiful but unfortunately the weather was not great and it rained a lot. The waterfalls however were flowing like crazy. The first time we were there people were swimming in the 7 pools; the second time the flow was way too strong. We had planned to go all the way around on our way back but luckily we found out from the hotel the roads were flooded and closed.

We also visited Haleakala both times. The first time we got up at 3 am and drove up there in the rain. We sat in our car waiting for sunrise which we never saw. The second time, we drove up around 10 am. It was a clear day. It was absolutely beautiful being above the clouds. We saw rainbows which was very cool.

Anyway, two different perspectives; and both times we were there was the end of February/beginning of March.

sylvia3 Sep 30th, 2008 02:02 PM

The car rental companies say don't drive on "unimproved" roads; the highway around the souuthern route is constantly improved. However, I believe, as mentioned, that it is still closed for a good part of the way. I've been dragged up Haleakala for sunrise many times; never thought it was worth it. At all (I think it's a huge tourist scam, frankly). Sunset, as I say, is always splendid, even with clouds!

iamq Sep 30th, 2008 02:16 PM

Sunset at Haleakala > Sunrise

gyppielou Sep 30th, 2008 02:32 PM

sunrise drive straight thru to Hana>10 am stop at all the sites caravan to Hana!

iamq Sep 30th, 2008 03:22 PM

gyppie?

Hana > St. Lucia

gyppielou Sep 30th, 2008 03:28 PM

ahi>conch

iamq Sep 30th, 2008 03:43 PM

plumeria > frangipani

JohnD Sep 30th, 2008 04:01 PM

slack key ((F))> reggae ((8))

gyppielou Sep 30th, 2008 04:08 PM

hmmm, that one's a hard call for this gyppie who spent her wild years surrounded by reggae.....oh were they wild times - indeed!

iamq Sep 30th, 2008 04:11 PM

hula > merengue

iamq Sep 30th, 2008 04:17 PM

gyppie? Would you get with the program please?

nene > bananaquit

gypsy Sep 30th, 2008 04:37 PM

The ONLY way to drive the Road to Hana - in a CONVERTIBLE!
The sight and smells are unbelievable...
d