the prettiest vacation spot in the U.S.?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
anne

the prettiest vacation spot in the U.S.?

I would love to plan my dream getaway...somewhere back to nature in a beautiful, unspoiled setting with incredible scenery and very comfortable lodgings. Our family's fave vacations so far were to Europe and Yellowstone. Now, where should we go to escape our hectic suburban lifestyle... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Mike

Kauai.
Western Montana.
Lake Tahoe.
Green Mountains of Vermont.
Southern Utah.
Columbia River Gorge (Oregon).
Blue Ridge Mountains NC.

The biggest problem with your list of goals is that the most unspoiled areas typically have no luxury or even 'really nice' lodgings. Lodging options are usually pretty basic.
Kauai is the most notable exception.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Stella

Kiawah Island, SC

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:41 AM
stephanie

South of the Border

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:09 AM
RMC

1. Yosemite
2. Anywhere in Alaska although you won't be staying at a 5 star resort!
3. Hawaii
4. Banff Canada

I agree with Mike that most unspoiled places tend not to have luxury accommodations but I believe that you can find 4 or 5 star accommodations in 3 out of my 4 recommendations.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:12 AM
travellyn

I'd add Telluride to that list.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Marti

Adirondack Mountains, NY. in the fall.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
x

Hey RMF READ the header!!! Since when is Banff in the US?????

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Jack

No luxury resorts in Alaska? Why?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:16 AM
helen

We've always enjoyed the red rock areas of southern Utah and northern Arizona.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Warren

The prettiest places i have been to in the U.S. are definitely Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, atop Squaw Valley in winter and summer,Monticello Raceway in N.Y. when you hit the Superfecta (Yahoo! Or else stay out of the place),LaHaina,Honolulu, a cruise ship off the Pacific ocean,Blue Ridge Mtns.of N.Carolina,Carmel by the beach in CA.,Lake Sunapee New Hampshire on the water, Nevada City in CA (close to Nevada)Northern Californias Giant Redwoods, Boulder,CO. has incredible Mtns. and i'm certain many places i've yet to be...Hope this helps..Enjoy..

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Mike

We stayed at Alaska's top rated hotel/resort, the Alyeska Lodge (a Westin at present, I believe)in Girdwood (outside Anchorage), and while it was certainly OK, it would be what most people in Chicago or NYC consider a solid 3-4 star place.
So why no luxe lodges in AK?
Probably because the tourist season is so short and it would be hard to staff and maintain the place at other times in a profitable manner. Lots of overhead with luxury hotels.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:36 AM
linda

Add Sonoma Valley to that list- misty mts, lush verdant vineyards, gardens, flowers, rivers.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:14 PM
william

Crater Lake Oregon is my new favorite spot for natural beauty in the US. They have a very nice lodge perched 1000 feet above the lake. Two days is enough in the area though, but the Oregon coast is not far away and it's the nicest coastline I've ever seen.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Dick

Hey X.dll...

DUH!! Do you think RMC wrote Banff CANADA because she DID KNOW Banff was outside the US (hence CANADA)!!!!

Anne, Banff is a beautiful place with lots of natural beauty and several luxury hotels. It fits exactly what you're looking for and although it IS outside the US, it's not THAT far.

Why must some people on this board be so darn anal retentive? There are many people who try to help others but there always seems to be a post imbedded with a negative connotation! If you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing!!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
keith

Lake Tahoe
Grand Tetons
Pacific Coast Highway
Cooperstown, NY - for all you baseball fans

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Mass

SEDONA, ARIZONA and LAKE TAHOE...simply beautiful!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:49 PM
x

Hey Dick you are a DICKHEAD!!!! Talk about anal retentive....

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:42 PM
beachbum

Aside from a S.Pacific beach, nothing is more relaxing for me than a week at Black Butte Ranch in central Oregon. Check it out at www.blackbutteranch.com.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:48 PM
me

If I had to pick one, it would be the Pacific Coast in California.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -