The Phoenician resort

Sep 16th, 1999, 03:23 AM
bkl

The Phoenician resort

Anyone have an opinion on the Phoenician resort in Scottsdale, AZ? Worth a trip? Is it a good spot for a 15 yr old daughter and a husband who is a non-golfer?

Sep 16th, 1999, 05:52 PM
nj

bkl:
I've stayed at the Phoenician nearly every year since it opened (which, I suppose gives away my overall bias about it) and would list the following as pros and cons: Plus side: pool view rooms are excellent; try to get a room as close to the center of the complex as possible as opposed to toward the ends of the wings; rooms are good size and done in whites/taupes which makes them feel open, clean and airy; bathrooms are very nice and in the suites they are outstanding; the pool is one of the best hotel pools in the continental U.S.; very beautiful, expansive, secluded grounds and setting at the foot of Camelback Mountain; very peaceful atmosphere when there are no conventions (see MINUS);location is better than most competing properties if you plan to visit both Phoenix (Biltmore area) and Scottsdale;
underground parking (important in the desert heat) is free, and very convenient IF you don't valet your car and don't register it; Mary Elaine's restaurant is among Phoenix's best; excellent golf (which is not a consideration, I take it).
Minuses: now run by Sheraton, the hotel hosts lots of conventions, which leads to a more crowded feel, more boistrous crowd, etc.; service has fallen off significantly with each successive owner IMO; the rooms facing the mountain and parking lots have dismal views (of the few I've peeked at walking by, stayed in one); big property and some rooms are a hike from the lobby (casitas are a looong way out...haven't stayed in or visited one); rates in high season for standard rooms now exceed those of competing properties....standard rooms may not justify the $$;
It was one of my 3 or 4 favorite stops in the US in the early 90's....still in my top ten perhaps, but it's been hard to watch it change over time. Bottom line: if you've never been, it's definitely worth a visit.

Sep 16th, 1999, 10:20 PM
Mike

If you have ever stayed at any of the 5-star resorts in Hawaii then you will NOT be impressed with the Phoenician!!

Sep 17th, 1999, 10:17 AM
rebecca

For $135/ night, you can get a beautiful 2 story casita at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak, with pools, tubing river (tubes included, not additonal price as in Las Vegas) and great, un-stuffy service. Also, it's in short walking distance to stores, coffee house, fast food. Would recommend that instead, for your teen. BTW, also stayed at Hyatt Gainey Ranch, which had nice pools area, overbearing security officers, occasionally snooty staff, and too far ( 10 min drive) from any place to eat (not even in-room coffee, for heaven's sake) except for expensive hotel restaurants.

Sep 17th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Olded

Overpriced, pretentious, a big-time rip-off...unless, of course, you are part of the sequin and tux crowd.

Sep 18th, 1999, 06:26 AM
elaine

We have not stayed at the Phoenician, but have vacationed at The Boulders twice. I am a non-golfer, though my husband is. The resort had much to offer and it is beautiful. No glitter or tuxes to my knowledge. A lovely resort.

Sep 18th, 1999, 07:48 AM
BKL

Thank you all for your input. Think I'll pass on the Phoenician. Don't like glitter and tux or inflated prices.