The Palace, the Essex or the Iroquois?

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

The Palace, the Essex or the Iroquois?

My husband and I are planning a 3 day Christmas trip to NYC, arriving Dec.18th. I found an exceptional rate of $250/nite at The NY Palace BUT it is for one of their "deluxe" rooms in the MAIN building. I am worried that I will end up with a very crappy room in a very elegant Hotel. This has happened to me before at the Plaza.
I have also reserved a room with continental breakfast and car service from Laguardia at the Iroguois for about $330/nite
and another reservation for a "deluxe" room at The Essex for $320.
I am looking for a decent sized, clean, comfortable room and bed with a nice bathroom and a good shower.
Your opinions about which of these three I should go with based on price to room luxury is greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM

I have stayed at the Essex House on CPS twice and can recommend it, if that is the hotel you mean. The rate of $320 sounds like a very good price for the dates and location. Sorry, have never stayed at the other two hotels.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:55 AM

Rooms at the Iroquois are small, and the Essex House is probably the nicer hotel. But for that kind of savings, I'd go with the Palace. It's a nice hotel. While the room may be unrenovated, the quality difference between rooms there is not as dramatic as at the Plaza. By the way, all the rooms at the NY Palace are in the "main" building. The historic townhouses only have public rooms and the lobby.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM

For that rate I would go for the Palace. None of those hotels is "luxury" - that would be twice the price. And $250 a night is a great price for a broom closet that time of year.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your opinions.
The Palace is having a 25% off sale. The "deluxe" rooms are at about $250/nite while the next level "executive" rooms are $600/ nite, thus my concern about the state of the rooms with such a discrepancy in price.
Doug, I received a picture of the Palace with my confirmation this morning. It was an aerial shot of the hotel which indeed shows the hotel rooms are located behind? the main building.
I guess got sucked in by the Iroquois's "car service included" advert.
I think shall take your sage advice and stay at the Palace. Now I must investigate the best way to get from LGA to the hotel ....
Thanks again, all.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM

I agree with the advice you've been given but there is a special on travelzoo for the Essex House if you wanted to stay there. http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/500965
I'd be happy with the Palace, but just an option. The worst case scenario I think at the Palace is the room has no view or faces an interior courtyard. All the rooms are in a relatively modern tower, unlike the Plaza.

The best way from LGA is a regular yellow NYC taxi (do not accept a ride from anyone who approaches you at the airport). It will cost $35-40 unless you're arriving at rush hour when it could be more. If you want a fixed price, use dial7.com car service for about the same rate.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM

You can also take public transportation from LaGuardia. It's not a bad ride if you don't have a lot of luggage. Take one of the frequent Q33 buses from LaGuardia to the last stop, which is the Roosevelt Ave/74th St subway station (about 30 minutes). Then go downstairs and take the E or V trains to Lexington and 53rd, which will be another 15-20 minutes. This would put you within a couple blocks of your hotel, and it only costs $2. If you arrive during rush hour, this might even be faster than a cab.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi McLaurie,
I did notice the travelzoo special at the Essex,(love travelzoo) but it only starts in January. I reserved a room for $320/nite at the Essex through my plat amex, then I found the special at the Palace on the hotel's website. At that differece in price do you still think the Palace is the way to go?
Thanks for the heads up about the taxis at LGA.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Tatoo, will definitely consider your advice if we arrive around rush hour as we always travel light going to NYC due to our propensity to buy stuff.
Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM

While the travelzoo offer SAYS it starts in Jan., if you go through the link and try to book for your dates, if you click on the travelzoo promotion, you do get an option at $279 for a queen room. Hard decision. Not sure which I'd pick. I don't think either is bad. My guess is the room will be bigger at the Essex House but service better at the Palace.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

OK, thanks.
I have until the 16th to cancel so I shall keep both reservations a little while longer to see if either has a better offer.
All agree I should cancel The Iroquois (with continental BKFT & airport transport incl) for $330.
Right?
Thanks so much for your help.
I wish I wasn't so anal about where I stay ....
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM

Airport transit from LGA is relatively fast and cheap. Breakfast in NYC can be cheap. More fun imo to go to a different place each day. I don't think an extra $50-80 x 3 days makes sense for breakfast and transit.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Excellent.
Thanks so much for your help.